Sucker Punching

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I heard on the news the other day that in the last 6 months there have been 6 incidents of people being sucker punched or king hit and then either dieing, being in a coma or being put into a medically induced coma.
I cant belive the high rate of fatal or near fatal results lately that have occured from something that I thought occured everyday everywhere.
Some 10 - 15 years ago I used to see alot of fights that started with a sucker punch and not one of them resulted in anything more than a sore head.
So why do you think that now it seems that a high percentage of the time are people being really hurt ?
Is there more concrete around for heads to hit, are people hitting harder, are peoples heads softer, is there more media reporting, what do you think are the reasons?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, MY guess....they where hit in the right places..all the incidents just so happen near the same time.

Just being push down and hit your head on a curb...can get you killed.

Today fighting has change too..people keep on attacking more violently too..

More martial art schools,Mix martial arts too...many more people aware of striking techniques...

Many martial artist live there whole life and never ever get into a fight...Yet tomorrow it maybe different......Aloha

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, MY guess....they where hit in the right places..all the incidents just so happen near the same time.

Just being push down and hit your head on a curb...can get you killed.

Today fighting has change too..people keep on attacking more violently too..

More martial art schools,Mix martial arts too...many more people aware of striking techniques...

Many martial artist live there whole life and never ever get into a fight...Yet tomorrow it maybe different......Aloha

And schools are popping up all over that teach abridged self-defense tactics. You learn all the effective and deadly materail quicker, but not the responsibility that goes with it.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea, you can say the same thing about Tae-bo and the recent overall interest in MMA.....everybody thinks they are an expert.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Fluffy said:
Yea, you can say the same thing about Tae-bo and the recent overall interest in MMA.....everybody thinks they are an expert.

Absolutely!
icon14.gif

OP
S

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lets just say then that people now know where to hit, do you really think that they are then trying to seriously hurt people?
In all these cases the person responsible has been caught, tried and then punished, wouldn't that be a deterent not to TRY to kill or maim them.
I dont agree that they are willingly putting themselves in that position after watching what had happened to the previous case.
I dont have the answers I just choose to believe that people are not all cold blooded everytime they hit someone.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
silatman said:
I dont have the answers I just choose to believe that people are not all cold blooded everytime they hit someone.

If someone is "sucker punching" someone, they have nothing but a cold blooded intent. Nobody every "honorably" sucker punched anyone.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
And schools are popping up all over that teach abridged self-defense tactics. You learn all the effective and deadly materail quicker

Amen Brother..It is THIS very point that I brought to the the attention of my superiors in an effort to increase the number of times per month that we train and the intensity that we train..I might well been talking to a wall...

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Drac said:
Amen Brother..It is THIS very point that I brought to the the attention of my superiors in an effort to increase the number of times per month that we train and the intensity that we train..I might well been talking to a wall...
Cheaper to bury you and train a new one. Disgusting, but, that's the rationale. You're not alone - my understanding is that it's the same everywhere.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Every where you go..violence is taught/learned....It starts when people hits/ spanks their kids....cartoons,Tv's shows...all this teaches' to hit someone when you want revenge or mad at someone....SOCIETY IS A FAULT!

Fight or flee is still a big part of us.........Can we all learn to control this? ........Aloha

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Drac said:

Nah. The wall probably would've listened more.

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think I read a simillar news report but the victims who died were in their 60's. Meaning a 60+ year old man cannot take a hard sucker punch without suffering heavy injuries. There are sick people in the world who likes to prey on the old and defenseless to make themselves feel strong. :s

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
King said:
I think I read a simillar news report but the victims who died were in their 60's. Meaning a 60+ year old man cannot take a hard sucker punch without suffering heavy injuries. There are sick people in the world who likes to prey on the old and defenseless to make themselves feel strong. :s

Too sad and too true..They along with the ones who prey on childen are number one on MY and a lot of other LEO's list...Ooops I better watch what I say..I got my first negative hit by posting similar feelings..Seems they thought it was the wrong attitude for a cop ..Mia culpa...

OP
S

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kenpojujitsu3 said:
If someone is "sucker punching" someone, they have nothing but a cold blooded intent. Nobody every "honorably" sucker punched anyone.
I agree that there is no honour in a sucker punch but I also think that being a coward and not a cold blooded killer could have something to do with it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why are you fighting to begin with? If I decide to rectify a life or death situation I am not lessoning my odds of success by requesting that my opponent pay attention to the new threat.
Sean

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here Locally there have been a number of deaths this year from people getting punched then hitting their heads on the ground and dying as a result. In just about every case I have read about so far, alcohol was involved. Both the attacker and victim were intoxicated and most cases were unprovoked. One really sad case a couple of weeks ago, two mates were fooling around in the carpark drunk and one punched the other and he died from hitting his head.
Last year one of our towns head TKD instructors was killed in similar circumstances and once again it was alcohol related, both parties were drunk.

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
the reason more people are getting hurt easier is because most people who want to fight don't want to fight fair they have to have their friends help. against one

Latest Discussions