style

e_speedygonzales

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
what is the martial art that includes the cane? I can't seem to find what the name is. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The various FMA systems use canes.
There is also a program by CaneMasters that looks good. (I have 1 of their canes)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Savate uses la canne. But many people now offer instruction in the walking cane. Hwa Rang Do was relatively early on the scene with this (see the Ohara books).

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
e_speedygonzales said:
what is the martial art that includes the cane? I can't seem to find what the name is. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places!

Speedy one should slow down and take in the sights and hopefully fully understand which Art maybe best for them. Like Bob said FMA uses them and I would recomend going into some different styles of schools to find the right one for you what part of the country are you in or the world and maybe we could suggest some good schools in the area, there are so many people here that can help a beginner find there calling in MA.
Terry

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Hwa Rang Do was relatively early on the scene with this (see the Ohara books).
:boing1:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
There is also a program by CaneMasters that looks good. (I have 1 of their canes)

Yes, CaneMasters have some excellent programs..Like Bob I too own a couple of their canes..Also the Combat Hapkido has a Cane program that is sanctioned and approved by Grandmaster Mark Shuey Sr of CaneMasters..

Icewater

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:

I've been thinking about getting one of their uber-canes. How does it hold up? I don't want to be afraid to scratch it!

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
:uhyeah: Old Fu Do, the deadly martial art of AARP! They use both canes and walkers.

HKF

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hwarang Do also uses cane.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We spent most of tonight's FMA class doing the cane. As usual, the fact that it was a cane shifted the emphasis to it's hooked end...and it's length was ignored. People tend to forget the range advantage when they have a cane! They focus on the hook.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just about any art could be done with a cane, given the correct teaching principles and a good instructor. :)

I realize that didn't help much. Try Canemasters or Hapkido. ;-)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lots of FMA stylists introduce cane work even if it isn't traditionally part of their system. Then there's Baritsu! See also this thread and the current issue of the Journal of Asian Martial Arts, which has an article on the walking cane (you can find it at Borders bookstores).

Latest Discussions