Style that does not need a lot of room?

Mtal

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering what style people would reconmend for someone with not a lot of room to practice. I live in a small appartment, and it will be hard to practice a form that moves around a lot. Plus, I think I would like something nice and compact. I was thinking wing chung, but then again, I like styles with some joint locking in them. Well any thoughs would be great. Thanks.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was wondering what style people would reconmend for someone with not a lot of room to practice. I live in a small appartment, and it will be hard to practice a form that moves around a lot. Plus, I think I would like something nice and compact. I was thinking wing chung, but then again, I like styles with some joint locking in them. Well any thoughs would be great. Thanks.

Try one of the Chinese internal systems. I would suggest taiji or bagua. They don't require that much room but are not as compact as wing chun. The Chinese internal arts have quite a lot of qinna incorporated into them, and as we all know qinna is the grandaddy of all joint-locking systems.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Check out the schools in your area. Some Wing Chun schools incorporate a lot of joint work/takedowns in their training.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Steel Tiger and Jonathan have given some great advice. Also, if you can connect with kung fu san soo, most of the forms are done without ever lifting one foot off the ground (fighting multiple attackers in a phone booth--when we still had them :)). Pretty well-rounded art, although primarily striking. Just a thought. Best of luck. :)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Start by checking out what southern styles are in your area. Southern styles are generally *closer in* than northern.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Start by checking out what southern styles are in your area. Southern styles are generally *closer in* than northern.

This is very true the majority of Southern styles tended to be designed for closer quarters than Northern styles. Look at the lay out in old Guangzhao and look at layout in old Beijing and you will see why this is.

Of all the CMA styles I have dealt with the most compact is likely Wing Chun (a Southern style)

Northern styles tend to take more room and except for Wing Chun all CMA styles I have done are northern.

Bagua might work in a small area though since its main movement and form is based on a circle. Taiji may or may not work, depends on how small an area you have. Taiji can be done in a small area but can also be frustrating, particularly in the beginning. Xingyi could also be done but I would not recommend it. Sanda/Sanshou could be done in a small area since there are no forms. Shaolin Long Fist or Long Fist, nope not a chance for a small area in my opinion, but I am sure that some have trained it in small areas; I was never one of them.

OP
M

Mtal

White Belt
Reaction score
Southern Mantis. I just saw this Clip today. If you understand the technique in the form you can practice in any size room.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCG4ZfjJM4M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCG4ZfjJM4M[/URL]

Actually I like that clip, it was very cool.

Well I am going to start looking to see what Southern styles I can find. Oh I do Tai Chi (and yes I agree it is hard to practice at home, to many things in the way, well my style, the form moves around a bit) and Bagua (it is not bad, I can manage). I do have a narrow hallway (not bad for Xing Yi, which I have done a little bit of, but just never really got into it). I was just looking what else I might be able to throw into the mix, what other options I might have.

Rattan_Bridge108

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Its a cool vid but dont be impressed by the fast hand apps too much. Look at the Sifu move. Fast hands is used to impress. It might help with combos. But in reality no one is gonna just stand there and let you get away with that. Good combos come from good control. Dont be impressed by the human jong.

There is WC vid with this master blocking everything thrown at him(sticking). At the begining i thought that was dope. Then I realized thats not efficient WC. Being too defensive will mess you up. Kiddies see that they're gonna think doing that theyll be invincible. Your gonna get hit. Im more impressed at how you deal with getting hit.

No I dont have beef with WC. I just think there are good schools and bad schools.

Rattan_Bridge108

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
After watching the video a couple more times. I take back what I said about that video. That stuff is a little more than just fast hands. Dopeness at its purest. I apologize.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although not a CMA, I think you should also consider Silat. It is a great choice for a number of reasons and stands up very well in close quarters. Personally, I think it is an even better size equalizer than is Wing Chun (just my opinion and I respect both styles).

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After watching the video a couple more times. I take back what I said about that video. That stuff is a little more than just fast hands. Dopeness at its purest. I apologize.

SPM is all about speed and is an excellent choice for training without a lot of space.

Check these out. :)

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
William CC Chen's 60 movement Tai Chi form takes up very little space. It has everything other CMAs have as well. Strikes, joint locks, throws, etc.
It is slightly modified version of CMC's Yang style, which should also be good for small areas.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SPM is very fast, but more importantly it is quick/direct/to-the-point.

Good Kung Fu and SPM in particular is about: "getting there firstest with the mostest"

Pete

Yep, you said it better than I. That's exactly right. :)

bakxierboxer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yep, you said it better than I. That's exactly right. :)

Thanks.

Anyone remember Dirty Duck and his side-kick/tagalong Weevil?
DD occasionally let it be known that Weevil "has a way with children".
In not at all the same manner, "I have a way with words". :D

The next question might well be: "If GOOD kung fu is so direct, WHAT'S WITH ALL THE CIRCLES?????"

In considering the original topic of this thread, one might note that it is primarily about a 2-dimensional "problem".

Anyone with a perversely wide-ranging general curiosity might also wonder if the recent "solution" to the Lie Group E8 "awkwardness problem" re multi-dimensional symmetries has anything to do with anything at all....

Pete

Longzhua

White Belt
Reaction score
Okay, big forms big space, but traditionally this is not so.
most forms can be done in a small confined space, regardless of the style.
Most fights are within a personal space not at arms legth, over the years or generations we have more space therefore we can move about alot more without walking into walls etc,
But true fighting styles can be trained in a small space, Wing Chun although an excellent art, it is hard to find a sifu who can truely do the art, most of them wing it and do not have a clue.
I would look for something that truely gives you what you want...

Longzhua

Latest Discussions