Studying CMA in Taiwan

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone knows about training in a (traditional) Chinese Martial Art, in Taipei, Taiwan which doesn’t utilize (or emphasize..) using qi or related things.

I was born in Taipei but later I moved to the Netherlands (I was adopted) but I’m still in touch with my birth parents. I’ve been there twice for a week (2004 and 2006) but this summer, in June/July 2008 I will probably stay there for a longer time, as I have a very long summer holiday. This time, I’m intending to take Chinese classes (it’s about time I learn the language…) but I was wondering whether it would be possible to study a martial art there. Of course I’m not expecting to suddenly ‘master’ such an art in such a short period, but I’d like to know how training is conducted in Taiwan and I’ve always been interested in such arts. As this is probably the only moment I’ll be able to stay there longer than a week, I was hoping I’d be able to find something ‘useful’ there.

I’ve already done some research and apparently, there are mainly internal arts in Taiwan. Well, for me, that’s a problem since I do not want to do anything related to qi… Also, of course there is the language barrier (it could be possible that I did something I didn’t want to do afterwards because I didn’t know what it was), so I was wondering whether there are traditional non-qi utilizing arts at all, and whether someone knows someone in Taiwan who teaches it…

But a web-site or email address of a Taiwanese martial arts federation would also be great – I couldn’t find anything useful on the internet.

Thanks in advance!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I believe there is a style on Taiwan that is taught to their military and police that is much like the Sanda they teach to the military and police on mainland but I am sorry I do not know the name. It has no qi training. For thatn matter you might find Sports Sanda (Sanshou) in Taiwan.

But there are also external styles from mainland on Taiwan as well that are not as heavy on qi training like Long fist and there is also White Crane as well and I am certain there are many more.

There use to be a couple of people on MT that were in Taiwan maybe they are still around and can give you more info.

If I remember the name of the style I mentioned I will post it. I also believe there is an older style they taught and now a newer one, but I am not sure about that.

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would recommend you try to work out with Luo De Xiu Shifu in Taiwan if you can arrange it.

Bagua, and well done. You can use his name as a search function and find information on his style and teaching methods.

Best of luck in your search!

Rob

Formosa Neijia

Green Belt
Reaction score
Qing chuan,
I could hook you up with teachers, no problem. At least as long as you're planning to come to Taipei.

I have a guide that lists 16 teachers in Taipei, their contact info, plus info on where and when they teach. I'm sure you'll find it useful. It's called the Martial Artist's Guide to Taipei: http://formosaneijia.com/my_products/

If you have any questions, let me know.

Latest Discussions