Study Material

MFC__2020

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun

Can anyone out there recommend any study material for the staff form? It does not specifically only have to have staff information.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, MFC!

Are you a Wing Chun practitioner, or just interested in the Luk Dim Boon Kwan in general?

OP
MFC__2020

MFC__2020

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Any study aid that will help me identify the moves. I have glossaries fairly down pat.

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Any study aid that will help me identify the moves. I have glossaries fairly down pat.
Ok, so you want to associate the names of the movements in the form with your glossary?

There are various interpretations of the long pole form. Depending on lineage, region and language, glossary terms and the movements of the form go together with their particular interpretation. While many terms are universal, you will be hard-pressed to just match up glossary terms to a random pole form. For example: I train the pole to go from Lau Soi to Kam Gwan. Other lineages could use a different glossary, or different movements, or even do the form in a completely different order, etc...

If you want to get it right, I would suggest doing an internet search for books and DVDs on Luk Dim Boon Kwan and go from there. Which ever complete form you chose to use as your study, also use their glossary that describes those particular movements. If you don't know for sure that you have the right order for the terms of movements in any given interpretation of the pole form, it's likely to be a fail.

Another option would be to share you current glossary terms here, and perhaps someone can help identify them and point you to the correct, corresponding form.

OP
MFC__2020

MFC__2020

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ip Man Lineage. I dont hold lineage.

Thanks I appreciate the advice.

The internet is full of knowledge.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The internet is full of knowledge.

Really? In my experience there's not always much useful knowledge about things like the Luk Dim Boon Kwun.

Not compared to a little time spent with a really knowledgeable individual.

OP
MFC__2020

MFC__2020

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It would be quicker and more efficient to have someone spoon feed you the form.

Im not arguing that.

I am just trying to find how to label each individual pole movement. Im not bothering doing any of the foot work labelling yet. Just the movement of the weapon.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am just trying to find how to label each individual pole movement. Im not bothering doing any of the foot work labelling yet.

Why?

....I mean, are terms out of context, terms that are lineage-specific....of any value whatsoever? I mean there is knowledge ...and meaningless trivia. Which are you pursuing?

OP
MFC__2020

MFC__2020

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's a personal decision I've made to do.
Yes, I'm aware that there are lineage specific terms.
There are language-specific terms.
I just want the movement list so I can translate it into my language...English.

OP
MFC__2020

MFC__2020

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Forgot to answer why on this...because I believe for me and my life this is the most accessible path to take in pursuit of this knowledge.
And also for me hopefully I am pursuing meaningless trivia. I am fortunate enough to not have created a relationship that I am aware of that would warrant me pulling a staff out and start attacking someone with it.
I do though want to complete what I started. Learning martial arts through the lens of Wing Chun. Its one thing to have the feel and the motions of the martial art but I need to go one step further and get the words so I can articulate what I want to others in safe efficient manner.
Me finding and labelling all the staff movements in the form includes that.

Are you aware of a book that does this specifically? Please dont tell me a book that teaches staff fighting I am specifically seeking out the movements of the form and their individual names.