Strength, Speed and Power ?

StrongFighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello, Recently I was watching both National Geographic and The History Channel about the fighting martial arts.

I noticed that the scientists were using a laptop to measure strength, speed and power.

Where can one buy CD software and additional equipment that does this job ? This would be a great tool to have for taking serious physical martial art training to the next level.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
http://www.goherman.com/
You can start there.

There are a number of bluetooth devices being designed and tested as we speak on sparring gear of all types, The only actual device in use now that I know of is made by Adidas, but If I recall correctly that is very limited in its use.

OP
StrongFighter

StrongFighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you LuckyKBoxer I am going to look into buying that.

Any more guys know what else is out there ?

I live nowhere near a gym as I live in a small town and I need to step into the 21st Century as far strength, speed and power training is concerned. Thank you.

OP
StrongFighter

StrongFighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
One question real quick.

What are those things that measure strength, speed and power called ?

Because just tried to do a search and was not sure what they are called.

That way can do a better google search. Thanks.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You can buy some inexpensive (cheap, inaccurate, but consistent and usable) accelerometers to place on your pads, targets, and bags. This will measure the force you apply to the target/bag (hence, they're sometimes called 'force meters'). (This is what that 'Herman Digital trainer' is).

You can also get some photo gates to measure the time you (or your arm/fist/elbow/knee/leg) take(s) to move from one place to another. This might be overkill for what you are looking for, but it would be accurate and would show improvement. Your speed and mass are important because they will determine how much kinetic energy you can deliver to your target.

As far as measuring strength, I'd use the 'old fashioned analog' method - just get some weights and start lifting. It is repeatable, accurate, inexpensive, and you can measure exactly how much improvement you are making.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have no links for this equipment that is not Automotive related. Those usually have wires and lots of expensive equipment.

I think the idea of using the cheaper ones would give a person the idea.

OP
StrongFighter

StrongFighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have no links for this equipment that is not Automotive related. Those usually have wires and lots of expensive equipment.

I think the idea of using the cheaper ones would give a person the idea.

What do you mean, not automotive related ? Is it a t.v. commercial for exercise equipment or something you have seen years ago ?

Please explain ? Thank you.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you mean, not automotive related ? Is it a t.v. commercial for exercise equipment or something you have seen years ago ?

Please explain ? Thank you.

We use strain guages and other devices like special fly wheels and other devices specifically designed for automobiles.

You mentioned that TV shows with laptops and measuring devices.

I know that Myth Busters uses impact devices to test for "G" force for impact. Thhis device was mentioned above as well.

sempai little1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I find the best way to gauge my power is too see how long it takes my husband to recover. :lfao:
Seriously, I can see the appeal of buying such equipment but the best way to track your sucess is in the ring.
Try finding different training strategies and see what works best for you. Really aside from bragging rights I'm not sure what you would get out of such equipment.
I don't mean to be mean, but it really wont help you become a better striker. Time and effort will do that....for alot less money.

Your friend,
Sempai Little1 :wavey:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find the best way to gauge my power is too see how long it takes my husband to recover. :lfao:
Seriously, I can see the appeal of buying such equipment but the best way to track your sucess is in the ring.
Try finding different training strategies and see what works best for you. Really aside from bragging rights I'm not sure what you would get out of such equipment.
I don't mean to be mean, but it really wont help you become a better striker. Time and effort will do that....for alot less money.

Your friend,
Sempai Little1 :wavey:

Nice one, like it!!

Golden Harvest

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure what the next level is that you are trying to achieve. Work on your timing, speed, and power in that order. Notice that power is last and is the least important of the three. Without timing follow by speed, power is not very effective. To illustrate, Bob "The Beast" Sapp of PRIDE stands 6' 5" and weighs 350 lbs but could not defeat much smaller and faster opponents. Although he was very powerful, he did not have good timing and little to no speed. Train hard but train effectively. Best wishes on your endeavor.

Latest Discussions