Street Fighting or Personal Growth?

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Friends,

I thought everyone might enjoy reading my new blog that I wrote today:

http://jamieseabrook.blogspot.com/2007/08/street-fighting-or-personal-growth.html

Feedback welcome.
i liked it.

To answer your question. I turned to martial arts to gain control of my life. I was up to my neck in drugs. Id lost friends to them. My life was falling and fast. I was looking desperately for something to help me control my anger, to teach me self control and to help me get in shape. Ive had no faith since 16 so i couldnt and wouldnt turn to religion. Ive got in SKK about 14 months ago and have been clean for almost a year now.

B

OP
Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
i liked it.

To answer your question. I turned to martial arts to gain control of my life. I was up to my neck in drugs. Id lost friends to them. My life was falling and fast. I was looking desperately for something to help me control my anger, to teach me self control and to help me get in shape. Ive had no faith since 16 so i couldnt and wouldnt turn to religion. Ive got in SKK about 14 months ago and have been clean for almost a year now.

B

That is GREAT news!!!!

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good blog, me personally I started because of the 80's ninja movies ie american ninja just thought it would be cool to be able to fight like them guys I stay in it for personal growth and to be the most efficient fighter I can be just in case I have to use this to save myself or my family one day

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I got into martial arts as an adult when my marriage fell apart. She left me for another guy - i was heart broken. Everything in my life just fell apart.
After about 6 months of feeling sorry for myself i decided that it was time that i took control of my life. Part of that was to get fit again.
So i did the run around my local schools - found one that i felt good about, signed up and have not looked back.

Only after 3 and a bit months of training my life has turned around. And whilst it's has not all been because of the training it has definently played a huge part in it.

Now i've got that black belt in my sights.....i will achieve it, even if it takes me a lifetime....

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Thank-you for sharing that "blog", great story.

The another day a person drop his tool battery while I was driving into Wal-mart, and I must have run over it.

That person chase me to rear delivery area (I didn't notice him). He came up to my delivery truck and started yelling and saying "Nice words?) to me, about how I run over his battery!

I aplologize,cause I did not see his battery fall under my truck. He kept yelling and cussing trying to get me into a fight.....?

Years ago before learning the martial arts....I would have gotton mad back and maybe get into a fight?

I just kept saying "sorry I didn't see the battery" and kept calm....he was angry and contiune swearing -"nice words" and then left the area.

Martial arts do make us grow (personal growth) to be more mature, calm in situtions, stronger mind to do the right things.

Afterwards I realize he was more afraid of me...the yelling and cussing was his way of trying to act brave. ( you could see it in his face,and posture).

Martial arts is about "personal growth" ............. (if you could measure personal growth....mine is a 4,655 yards so far).............I know it is endless.........Aloha

OP
Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good blog, me personally I started because of the 80's ninja movies ie american ninja just thought it would be cool to be able to fight like them guys I stay in it for personal growth and to be the most efficient fighter I can be just in case I have to use this to save myself or my family one day

Revenge of the Ninja is one of my favourite movies, LOL.

OP
Seabrook

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
I got into martial arts as an adult when my marriage fell apart. She left me for another guy - i was heart broken. Everything in my life just fell apart.
After about 6 months of feeling sorry for myself i decided that it was time that i took control of my life. Part of that was to get fit again.
So i did the run around my local schools - found one that i felt good about, signed up and have not looked back.

Only after 3 and a bit months of training my life has turned around. And whilst it's has not all been because of the training it has definently played a huge part in it.

Now i've got that black belt in my sights.....i will achieve it, even if it takes me a lifetime....

God Bless You.

Physical and mental exercise via martial arts will definitely help you my friend.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
i liked it.

B

The hardest opponent most of us will ever face in combat is our own human weakness and fear. Many can't or won't fight it, and they go down. You did and you won. Savor every day, and do what you can to help others.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was never interested in fighting, street or otherwise. I was talked into trying TKD 20 years ago by the guy I was dating at the time, who had earned his blue belt in high school and wanted to go back. Something in what I was being taught just clicked, and that was it; I was hooked, and I've been in TKD ever since.

As far as personal growth - certainly! I have much more confidence than I ever had; I learned that I could do physically difficult activities that I had never before dreamed of doing, that I could learn and understand skills unlike anything I had ever tried before, and I learned that I really enjoyed teaching - I was a TKD instructor before I decided to go back to school and get my teaching certificate, 15 years ago.

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The purpose of Martial arts was originally killing and maiming your enemies.

The original and ongoing main purpose for me is protection of my loved ones, othersss and myself.

The thing is, you do get way more out of them than the above.

Latest Discussions