street fighting&BJJ

R

red_herring

How well go thouse two togheter what you think?I think any style and any form of fighting can be effective in a street situation.And I say its wrong to think that all the fights end up on the ground(no matter what the gracies say).Last night I saw a young guy who has trained BJJ for over 6months flaunt about his ability.He had a girl with him and this guy simply wanted to impress her so he was trying to pic a fight several times with different people(the location was infront of the shopping centre).And finally a bigger guy who was passing by tuck the bait.He attacked this young lad right away with big shots and the young guy was just too small to block them and he did not attemt to dodge them or something.So soon afther the fight started it was over.Then the security came and tuck the both guys away.What do you think about this situation?Was it just random?I know from my friends who have been training in usa that BJJ is very popular in there and its said that its very effective and easy to learn.I belive one of the "slogans" says "you can get good in 6months and defeat any kind of stand up fighting EXPERT"Im not sure tho.But anyway what do you think about it??

H.F.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
red_herring said:
How well go thouse two togheter what you think?I think any style and any form of fighting can be effective in a street situation.And I say its wrong to think that all the fights end up on the ground(no matter what the gracies say).Last night I saw a young guy who has trained BJJ for over 6months flaunt about his ability.He had a girl with him and this guy simply wanted to impress her so he was trying to pic a fight several times with different people(the location was infront of the shopping centre).And finally a bigger guy who was passing by tuck the bait.He attacked this young lad right away with big shots and the young guy was just too small to block them and he did not attemt to dodge them or something.So soon afther the fight started it was over.Then the security came and tuck the both guys away.What do you think about this situation?Was it just random?I know from my friends who have been training in usa that BJJ is very popular in there and its said that its very effective and easy to learn.I belive one of the "slogans" says "you can get good in 6months and defeat any kind of stand up fighting EXPERT"Im not sure tho.But anyway what do you think about it??

H.F.
Couple things:

1) The kid was in the wrong. I'm 6'6" and around 400lbs, and I don't pick fights with anyone anymore. Why? Because I've had my butt handed to me by a guy who's 5'1" and about 180. An instructor once told me "don't go around being big and bad, because there will ALWAYS be someone bigger and badder than you". Humility goes along way to maturity, IMO.

*note* I'm not saying the guy who took the bait was any better, just for clarification.

2) Chess is also easy to learn. How many people could beat Bobby Fischer after 6 months, though?

3) BJJ has some excellent techniques, but it's not invincible. Yes, a large majority of fights will go to the ground. Once you're there, though, I would think your first reaction would be to get back on your feet to escape the situation (unless you have a REALLY fast bear/turtle crawl ;)). How many of those fights are one-on-one, though? While you have someone in your mount, looking for that lock, how many of his friends (or just bystanders who are itching to fight) are caving in your skull with a bottle, brick, or anything else? That said, there are alot of good things BJJ will teach you (escapes from grabs and holds, learning to cope with someone grabbing you and invading your space without panicing, how to handle yourself in a choke or other compromising position, etc), but it should be a tool in your arsenal, and not the end-all-be-all on the street, again IMO.

OP
L

lvwhitebir

red_herring said:
What do you think about this situation?

I think both guys deserve everything the law can do to them. To put it bluntly, they're idiots.

Great answer OUMoose!

WhiteBirch

OP
A

Aaron Little

I am glad that those two meet up. Sounds like two guys just made for each other.

By the way....It is BJJ that teaches me how to escape and get back to my feet if/or when I am taken down.

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OUMoose said it all. Learn to fight on the ground in case you end up there, but it's the LAST place in the world you want to end up in a fight, for the reasons he said. Ground fighting is one on one and you can't be sure of that proviso when you engage. His buddy may show up 5 seconds later and kick your skull in.

dmdfromhamilton

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes that is a valid point other ppl could step in. But i have to ask about this. I thought BJJ was Judo refined in Brazilian Street fights or am i mistaken and if it was the there has to be a reason why it focuses so much on the ground so i wonder what that is? can anybody help me here?

OP
S

sifu Adams

i always say 80% of fights may go to the ground but 100% start standing up. You have to get me to the ground first.

OP
S

SammyB57

BJJ is good. 6 months is not enough time. BJJ isn't the end-all-be-all, but it delivers what it promises.... deadly groundfighting.

Most BJJ schools are losing self-defense in the name of sport. Just like TKD and Judo, the art is dying in the name of trophies.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Growing up getting into and witnessing MANY fights, and for years working in the security business, I would say BJJ is good to have in your arsenal. However, it is not the only mind frame to fight from (Grapple, then gain a submission). When you have to engage, try(very hard) not to end up on the ground. Instead, put your opponent down, in one way or another, then strike untill submission, whether they are out or no longer able to fight. Don't go for the submission holds you see, the opponent doesn't understand "tapping out". Try the triangle choke, get yout thigh/groin bitten etc... Chokes/locks are the best bet, but, you have to soften them up first, or else they are still strong enough, or have the energy to be wiggly enough to get out of it. Besides, lots of people these days have been watching the UFC, seeing the escapes/ hols for years, and have at least some idea to counter them. Or, as seen in fitness centers everywhere, have had some form, even if basic, training in the combat arts. I see it constantly, every weekend, and when pain tolerence is involved like drugs, and alcohol, or just the mental conviction to carry out the process and do harm, I would say don't be exclusive, strike, and control in combination, flowing back and forth between the two.

Everyone be safe, respect to all of you!

Latest Discussions