stop kick

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I train in JKD currently. For those that don't know, JKD trains with they're strong side forward. Meaning that I, being left handed, fight with my left foot forward, like a traditional right handed fighter. Also for those that don't know, a stop kick is when an opponent moves in even slightly, a side kick(for lack of better words) is delivered to the lead leg of the opponent. Anyways, how many of you train stop kicks? Whats your take on them? Are they hard to pull off? How long did it take you to get good at them? I'd imagine it's more of a JKD tool as it's probably much easier to do with the strong leg forward, but I was wondering if anyone else does them also?

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never practiced JKD but I know that stopgap striking is a part of the style. Like many styles I tend to fight with my weak side as my guard and my strong side loaded (opposite of JKD) but train to be able to switch out as needed.

I have occasionally used what would be a stop kick but probably done differently than you referred to it. I most often fight from a cat foot stance (my left foot forward but resting only on the ball of the foot with about 10% body weight on that foot).

The cat foot stance allows me to fire a front kick quickly as well as initiate a rapid explosion in any forward direction. I have used the front kick to strike the leg of an advancing opponent, nullifying their forward movement.

I haven't used it often but it's worked when I have. I suspect that JKD, being more focused toward such a strike, has a much better approach toward training and implementation of the technique.

Against the standard haymaker roundhouse punch of a brawler I do often use a stop hit to the shoulder of the opponent's punching arm. The stop hit nullifies the forward power of the punch as well as moves me inside of the striking zone of it.

Again, against a right-handed fighter, this stop hit would probably occur with my weaker left hand. My followup attack would occur immediately with my stronger right.

Is this stop hit used against a punch in JKD? My guess would be yes but that it's performed with the strong hand. If that's true then the single strike from the strong hand is both defensive and offensive, thus preserving economy of motion.

I'd be glad to hear more about JKD's approach to the stop hit technique.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love "stop kicks" and we train to fight from both sides, so we must develop both sides to be "strong". I usually use a low shin type kick or propping kick to do the stop. Normally from the front leg, but many times I've used it from the back leg simply because of our close fighting proximity. The back leg tends to hurt the kicker more, but is much harder to pull off in time.

7sm

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Against the standard haymaker roundhouse punch of a brawler I do often use a stop hit to the shoulder of the opponent's punching arm. The stop hit nullifies the forward power of the punch as well as moves me inside of the striking zone of it.

Again, against a right-handed fighter, this stop hit would probably occur with my weaker left hand. My followup attack would occur immediately with my stronger right.

Is this stop hit used against a punch in JKD? My guess would be yes but that it's performed with the strong hand. If that's true then the single strike from the strong hand is both defensive and offensive, thus preserving economy of motion.

Yes we use them, yes with the stong hand. Genrally though they are to the face in JKD.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
cfr said:
Yes we use them, yes with the stong hand. Genrally though they are to the face in JKD.

Meaning you stop the punch by striking the face before the hand hits you?

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
cfr said:
I train in JKD currently. For those that don't know, JKD trains with they're strong side forward. Meaning that I, being left handed, fight with my left foot forward, like a traditional right handed fighter. Also for those that don't know, a stop kick is when an opponent moves in even slightly, a side kick(for lack of better words) is delivered to the lead leg of the opponent. Anyways, how many of you train stop kicks? Whats your take on them? Are they hard to pull off? How long did it take you to get good at them? I'd imagine it's more of a JKD tool as it's probably much easier to do with the strong leg forward, but I was wondering if anyone else does them also?

Being a Thai Fighter, I use teep dhrong (push kick with the lead leg to the abdomen/leg), teep dhob (more of a "jab kick" than a push kick, but similar and more toward the chest/face area), and teep khang (the side-kick you talk about).

TeepGroot.jpg

teep3.jpg

Couldn't find a sidekick pic.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We use that type of kick against which ever leg they move not only to stop movement but also as a block or check aginst some kicks
Getting the timeing down is just a lot of practice
This stop kick is frustrating to your opponet and is also not alowed in most tournaments

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
CFR, do you block at all or do you rely on strikes? Your stop kick is a strike but also serves as a block (though that's not the main purpose) but with the punch you strike an area to do damage and distract. Can you explain this difference further?

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
We use that type of kick against which ever leg they move not only to stop movement but also as a block or check aginst some kicks
Getting the timeing down is just a lot of practice
This stop kick is frustrating to your opponet and is also not alowed in most tournaments

Not allowed? That's lame. . .it is allowed--and relatively necessary--in Muay Thai. One gets pretty hammered without a good teep.

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:
CFR, do you block at all or do you rely on strikes? Your stop kick is a strike but also serves as a block (though that's not the main purpose) but with the punch you strike an area to do damage and distract. Can you explain this difference further?

In boxing it's called slipping/countering.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:

In sparring, I may do a catch... whether that would be considered a block or not I dont know?

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess I was asking if you typically do stop hits to both kicks and punch but don't actually go after the attacking arm on a punch defense.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't do JKD but we do have kicks that are delivered straight ahead. A thrust kick or a knife edge kick to the knee will do nicely, as would a snap kick from a cat stance (taret of your choice). It's important to be good on both sides, as you don't know where an attacker is going to come from. Chances are, you're not going to have a chance to switch to your strong side forward, if that's not already the case.

I don't really train for the ring. I'm not good enough to live with the rule constraints. :)

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jdinca said:
I don't really train for the ring. I'm not good enough to live with the rule constraints. :)

You just waffle your opponent with a tire iron in the parking lot, eh? I wonder if JKD would advocate that?

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not allowed to crush the bones in the foot, break a knee, kick as hard as I can to the groin, do a chop or half fist to the throat, stick my rigid fingers right in the eye socket, or drive an elbow through his temple. I like the tire iron idea too! :mp5:

Honestly, fighting is a very small part of what our school does, mostly for the above reasons. Our philosophy is that there's no rules in a fight. Those in our school who do fight, follow Kuoshu rules and techniques as a side branch to Bok Fu Do. That said, our full contact fighters do exceptionally well in competition. I do just enough to fare reasonably well in point sparring and because we don't allow 42 year olds on the Lei Tai. For that, a Japanese or Chinese thrust kick to the solar plexus can stop an opponent fairly well without risking a limb.

OP
C

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:
I guess I was asking if you typically do stop hits to both kicks and punch but don't actually go after the attacking arm on a punch defense.

Nope. We dont go after the arm on a punch defense, that I have seen yet. But Ive only been doing it a short time.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
cfr, from the website, it looks like JKD is just part of a hybrid system of a number of different styles. Do you like it?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
cfr said:

While I do not train in JKD, I do train them and IMO, they are a great tool. Like anything, its going to take time to get good at something. As for being able to pull them off...part of being able to do them effectively is also knowing when to do them.

Mike