Still learning has new spyware (adware)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I think I did somethings wrong cause it looks like I loss some info. Good news is now I have Adware install...may have loss some files.....still new at this computor stuffs......Aloha

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Spybot and similar software shouldn't cause you to lose files you'd want...the files you're losing should just be those associated with spyware/adware and possibly some infected files that can't be cleaned up.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
one thing that spybot will do....if there is spyware or ad programs associated with software you may have downloaded, spybot will get rid of them which in turn will stop the program from running. often you will see in the EULA that the software vendor has packaged the ad program with the software and both must be installed for that program to operate.
the only way around this is to find a similar program minus the PC hijacking spyware.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What experience I have with spyware causes me to agree with arni; almost, anyway. Some adcrap, such as malware (a portmanteau, by the way), can damage OS files and other program data even though it's purpose may be to provide popups and redirects. Spybot S&D and AdAware both target such critters and removes them. I've had to reinstall a couple programs, NAV most notably, because of those b*st*rds.

Best of luck, Still.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't believe it's not illegal to install that stuff on people's computers. I know criminalizing it wouldn't help much as it'd just move offshore, but even still...

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I can't believe it's not illegal to install that stuff on people's computers. I know criminalizing it wouldn't help much as it'd just move offshore, but even still...

You know those really long agreement forms (EULA - End User License Agreement)...when was the last time you read one closely when you installed software...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are some laws covering it...California is in the process of sueing Sony for installing rootkits on people PCs..

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Thank-you for the great advice.....I will look at the search and destroy stuffs.....Aloha

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BlueDragon1981 said:
Spyware is nasty....

I use Ad ware 6SE professional and Spybot Search and Destroy.

Might want to post this on http://www.buffaloit.com also....

That's what I use, BOTH. One catches what the other misses. Plus, I'm still one of those sheeple who uses AOL (haven't taken the time and hassle to cancel and find a new provider), and they have some spyware protection in their new version.

Latest Discussions