Stick fighting in Chinese martial arts

Mr. President

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering whether it's possible to find any sort of stick fighting in Chinese methods, sort of like the thing you will find in Eskrima. I know there are staff forms, but I'm talking more about shorter sticks.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The bian (hard whip) is the closest thing I know of--as in eskrima, one of its uses is as a backsword in the sense of training tool for a real sword. I've certainly seen people use the outer two sticks in a 3-sectional staff in an eskrima-like manner but that's obviously different.

aaradia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We have stick fighting in my school. In our stick sparring, we use this foam wrapped PVC(?) pipe for the stick. Padded, but you can feel it and it can leave bruises. We have a stick form that is a "flute" form. Traditionally, you used a wooden flute, but my school uses waxwood sticks. It is a cool form. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the youtubes out there do it justice.

The stick runs almost the length of one's arm.

Last edited:

aaradia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I just remembered. CLF has a double cudgel form too.

This is a compilation of people of varying ages and experience levels doing it from my school. It is not part of our curriculum, but our GM taught it in a seminar a couple of years ago. I was injured and couldn't take it. Real bummer - it is a cool form.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my school, we have a form called "Pei Huang Chi Kai Pang" or Short Stick of the Northern Beggar in English. There is also one called entwine the dragon staff, I think the Chinese name is "Pang Lung Pang". We also have one called Cheui Kai Pang or drunken begger stick.

The Northern Beggar stick is the shortest and we use a stick roughly the length of our arm. Entwine the Dragon staff is longer but still shorter then a gun (full length staff) about ground to solar plexus. The drunken begger I've only seen, this one is about cane length.

This is the only video I see on youtube that is essentially the same form as what I was taught for northern beggar.
[video=youtube_share;cfV5LjfCTHo]http://youtu.be/cfV5LjfCTHo[/video]

Latest Discussions