Steve Jobs resigns as CEO of Apple

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This was expected, but shocking nonetheless. Tim has been running the show for a while, so Apple won't miss a beat.

Apple’s Board of Directors today announced that Steve Jobs has resigned as Chief Executive Officer, and the Board has named Tim Cook, previously Apple’s Chief Operating Officer, as the company’s new CEO. Jobs has been elected Chairman of the Board and Cook will join the Board, effective immediately.
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/08/24Steve-Jobs-Resigns-as-CEO-of-Apple.html

To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple’s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Steve
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/08/24Letter-from-Steve-Jobs.html

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cancer sucks. :(

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
He had previously survived pancreatic cancer and received a liver transplant. Hope he'll survive this one. Although, I hate to see him go, I think this is an easier transition than him dying while he is CEO.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repost, but word has it that the day after Jobs announced retirement thousands of Apple fanatics
lined up to pre-order Retirement.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cancer really sucks :(

Rest in peace, sir

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dislike a few things about him, from the early days.
But.
He went too soon.
He touched so many.
Rest in Peace Steve.

Latest Discussions