Statements

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even though I have retired from Law Enforcement I am still maintain all my contacts, and render advice about training when asked..Whenever the topic of martial arts training comes up some copper will make a statement about him whipping some black belts butt..I usually tell them that they NEVER fought or attempted to arrest a true black belt that had nothing to lose or was so intoxicated that he couldnt stand let alone fight..

Now the social graces and respect for the law that 99% of the MA's I know have put aside..How many believe that some cop or rent-a-cop with no MA experience or training other than what he got in the academy could whip some black belts butt?? Looking forward to your responses..

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ego, of course. Probably trying to bluff their way through some personal insecurity.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's easy to beat someone who can't fight back. Remove the "assaulted an officer of the law" risk, the "hey, it's that guy who beat up Larry, lets pull him over and make him late for work again" retaliation, etc, and things might balance out.

Do I think someone with no experience can beat someone with real experience?
Sure, but usually no.
Do I think a cop several years out from basics, who's missed a few chances to update or at least keep current in his skills could beat someone with real experience?
Probably not.
Do I think a cop who's kept his skills up, and himself in shape could do it?
Sure.

Most likely to win is the person in the better shape, with the most current skillset. But in any confrontation, either side can pull out a win.

Latest Discussions