starting training

majorman

White Belt
Reaction score
i have taken a couple of classes and wanted to know anything i could do outside the kwoon.
also i heard that in wing chun we don't use shoulders and that if they hurt your doing something wrong is this true as my shoulders hurt after class

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i have taken a couple of classes and wanted to know anything i could do outside the kwoon.
Generally, anything that is shown in the class you can practise on your own. Simply practising changing between the different hands (tan sau to bong sau for example) is good practise. So is doing siu lim tau on your own, once you've covered that. There are all sorts of things you could practise.

The best person to ask, though, is your sifu as s/he is the one who knows your progress and is the one who guides your learning.

also i heard that in wing chun we don't use shoulders and that if they hurt your doing something wrong is this true as my shoulders hurt after class
Yep, you're doing something wrong. You're supposed to keep your shoulders relaxed and not move them when you perform techniques. But it takes a lot of practise before you can relax them all the time, especially when chi sauing, and everyone tenses them when beginning. Just keep practising and try to be aware of when your shoulders are tense. When they are, relax them. It's difficult though, so don't be disheartened if you find yourself doing it a lot.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

Give us some specifics as to what sort of training you have been doing , and we may be able to offer solutions .
I'm sure with the collective experience of the WC/WT practitioners on this forum that any mistake you are making is certainly bound to have been made by one of us before .

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What makes your shoulders hurt the most?

1.one thousand punches

2.chi sau

3.push ups?

please share?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

When starting out, or when dramatically increasing your level of exertion, your shoulder muscles will get sore. But as you build up endurance and become very familiar with the techniques, you will move more efficiently and relax, making this less of a problem. Ultimately you should be able to train for long periods with minimal exertion.

Now if you continue to have pain, or if the pain increases, especially joint pain, you should beware. Your technique and positioning may be incorrect and it is possible to develop serious problems by doing your techniques badly. If you suspect this may be the case, start by consulting with your sifu, and if it doesn't clear up, definitely consult a professional.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
1.Practice techniques slowly and with out force(To correct errors).
2.Use Dit Da Jow or Tiger Palm on sore parts
3.Breath while doing techniques.

Over time your muscles will get stronger along with bone density. Then the pain will not be there as much. An as Geezer said it will take longer periods of time for you to feel the pain. Its like doing push ups. You have to build up to doing a hundred straight.

When starting out, or when dramatically increasing your level of exertion, your shoulder muscles will get sore. But as you build up endurance and become very familiar with the techniques, you will move more efficiently and relax, making this less of a problem. Ultimately you should be able to train for long periods with minimal exertion.

Now if you continue to have pain, or if the pain increases, especially joint pain, you should beware. Your technique and positioning may be incorrect and it is possible to develop serious problems by doing your techniques badly. If you suspect this may be the case, start by consulting with your sifu, and if it doesn't clear up, definitely consult a professional.

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
most peoples shoulders ache first time its normal,as your moving in a way your not used to.the more you relax,and with experience the more you will learn to focus your energy from the elbows and not give it all the shoulder.

outside the kwoon,do your forms,watch a lot,and read as much as you can,from any scource,and not just what your sifu tells you.

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
1.Practice techniques slowly and with out force(To correct errors).
2.Use Dit Da Jow or Tiger Palm on sore parts
3.Breath while doing techniques.

Over time your muscles will get stronger along with bone density. Then the pain will not be there as much. An as Geezer said it will take longer periods of time for you to feel the pain. Its like doing push ups. You have to build up to doing a hundred straight.

yosh,you can do a 100 straight pushups?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

About a year ago I built up to where I could do over a hundred...of so-so quality push-ups... at one go. It did absolutely nothing to help my WT. I doubt if I could still do quite as many, but who cares anyway.

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i dont care to much m8,only i always been crap at pushups,been years since i done em last...do about 30 and i feel like dying.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shoot right now I can barely do 25 straight...I dont know I havent done push ups in months to be honest. But when I first started training...We were doing all that stuff every class. Along with pull ups, and some other toruture training...along with other low low stances....felt like Fire and Brimstone the first few months...but after awhile it got easier...than weight and reps increase on us...an back to square one of torture and pain.

But now lately I been focusing on punching air and when ever I at someone house with a heavy bag. I try various punches on the heavy bag. Other times I slap a tree or the wooden man to build up power. Along with some other Chi Kung exercises. An I do the forms ten times each.

Sil lim Tau Ten times
Chum Kiu ten times
Bil Gee ten times

Along with some other forms outside of most WC lineages.

Also Now for power I concentrate on energy moving from my abadomen to my limbs.
I practice punching really slowly with no force
If I do push ups I do until I cant any more
I do sit ups into I cant any more
Sometimes I might do them for one minute straight(Using a timer)...havent done that in while.
I practice stepping and punching
I practice using the breath when I punch
I practice rooting my stance really low.

One way I like to practice is do
One hundred Punches Soft and slow(Do Push ups slowly until I can't).
One Hundred Punches Hard and Fast (Do Push Ups really fast until I can't).
One Hundred Punches Slow and Hard(Do Push Ups semi slow until I can't).
One Hundred Punches soft with hardness at the end(Short Push ups fast).
One Hundred Punches Soft and Fast(regular Push Ups Until I get can't).

I do each of these Twice. After I do it once I do it all over again.

I do this from time to time. It helps to make me stronger. But my Sifu sometimes says i am too hard when ever I do it alot...its like he feel it. So recently I been laying off. To see if there is a difference. Than In spring I am going to start back the first week of spring and do Chi Sau with my sifu an see what he says. Then If he says I am still to hard I will try to find a way to find a balance. I don't yet. I am kinda experiementing with it.

Last edited:

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sil lim Tau Ten times
Chum Kiu ten times
Bil Gee ten times

Along with some other forms outside of most WC lineages.

Also Now for power I concentrate on energy moving from my abadomen to my limbs.
I practice punching really slowly with no force
If I do push ups I do until I cant any more
I do sit ups into I cant any more
Sometimes I might do them for one minute straight(Using a timer)...havent done that in while.
I practice stepping and punching
I practice using the breath when I punch
I practice rooting my stance really low.

One way I like to practice is do
One hundred Punches Soft and slow(Do Push ups slowly until I can't).
One Hundred Punches Hard and Fast (Do Push Ups really fast until I can't).
One Hundred Punches Slow and Hard(Do Push Ups semi slow until I can't).
One Hundred Punches soft with hardness at the end(Short Push ups fast).
One Hundred Punches Soft and Fast(regular Push Ups Until I get can't).

I do each of these Twice. After I do it once I do it all over again.

I do this from time to time. It helps to make me stronger. But my Sifu sometimes says i am too hard when ever I do it alot...its like he feel it. So recently I been laying off. To see if there is a difference. Than In spring I am going to start back the first week of spring and do Chi Sau with my sifu an see what he says. Then If he says I am still to hard I will try to find a way to find a balance. I don't yet. I am kinda experiementing with it.

im suprised you can fit all that in the time you spend posting in here haha

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont all that every day...except for SLT...But on weekends I do very various work out routines. in addition to other training...an days off work during the week.

im suprised you can fit all that in the time you spend posting in here haha

OP
M

majorman

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the replys guys
right now i have been focusing on straight centre line punches which i think i must be doing wrong if im getting into 300 and shoulders not hurting its more when im holding the guard up for a long time and punching fast and hard that make my shoulders hurt

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
right now i have been focusing on straight centre line punches which i think i must be doing wrong if im getting into 300 and shoulders not hurting its more when im holding the guard up for a long time and punching fast and hard that make my shoulders hurt

i wouldnt consider my shoulders hurting as a good indication i was doing something right.

personaly i dont value continuos air punching,it can have a dentrimental effect on the joints over time.

why waste your punches ? invest in a good wallbag.i would much rather do 100 wallbag punches that 300 air punches anyday.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kung Fu is not easy. contrary to what some people believe.

If you do continous push ups eventually your arms will hurt.

If you do continous mid level kicks eventually your legs will hurt.

If you throw continous punches your arms will eventually hurt.

If you hold a horse stance for longer than 30 minutes eventually your legs will hurt.

If you hold your arms out infornt of you for more than thirty minutes with out moving eventually your shoulders and arms will hurt...

Kung Fu hurts because you are doing work, Any one who says constant repeptions doesn't hurt is not doing enough reps in my opinion.

Kung Fu is developing skill. In doing so it hurts. If you run a mile a day, your body will hurt until you build up a stamina for running a mile a day. Increase it to three miles after that again with the pain. If you do 25 sit ups your stomach muscles will be tight and sore until your body adjust to doing twenty five sit ups a day. If you move up to fifty or hundred...back at the pain again until your body adjust. If you practice Kung Fu your body is going to hurt. Until you develop skill in that area. This is developing Chi. It takes pain. But all good things take blood sweat and tears to acheive. If you are willing to sacrifice your comfort zone you will always progress.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions