starting jujitsu...again

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sure.

1. Tap early and often- No need to get injured in training, fighting a sub that's 95% there. Save the never quit, no mater what for real fights and compitition.

2. Ukemi, Ukemi Ukemi!- Practice rolling and breakfalls often, make them a high priority. Do what you can of them at home as well.
Not only will Ukemi help you survive falls and throws, but it will make you better at throwing others and at grappling.

3. No 1 style of Jujutsu has all the answers, some are more comprehensive than others. Besides being a 2nd Dan in Icho Yama and a student of Daito Ryu, I swap techniques with a Small Circle guy, roll with a BJJ guy and read and watch for techniques and variations from other style of Jujutsu (as well as other arts) that can fit in with my game.
Now I'm not saying jump from school to school, you need a core style, but do take opertunities to crosstrain and research the wide world of Jujutsu.

4. If Self Defense is a priority, then become a student of violence, not just Jujutsu. Reemember you can gouge, rip and bite, pick up weapons of oppertunity and what not. Watch films of street fights and PRISON FIGHTS ( Know your enemy) and wargame the attacks you see.

Shugyo!

OP
chris_มวยไทย
Reaction score
Sure.

1. Tap early and often- No need to get injured in training, fighting a sub that's 95% there. Save the never quit, no mater what for real fights and compitition.

2. Ukemi, Ukemi Ukemi!- Practice rolling and breakfalls often, make them a high priority. Do what you can of them at home as well.
Not only will Ukemi help you survive falls and throws, but it will make you better at throwing others and at grappling.

3. No 1 style of Jujutsu has all the answers, some are more comprehensive than others. Besides being a 2nd Dan in Icho Yama and a student of Daito Ryu, I swap techniques with a Small Circle guy, roll with a BJJ guy and read and watch for techniques and variations from other style of Jujutsu (as well as other arts) that can fit in with my game.
Now I'm not saying jump from school to school, you need a core style, but do take opertunities to crosstrain and research the wide world of Jujutsu.

4. If Self Defense is a priority, then become a student of violence, not just Jujutsu. Reemember you can gouge, rip and bite, pick up weapons of oppertunity and what not. Watch films of street fights and PRISON FIGHTS ( Know your enemy) and wargame the attacks you see.

Shugyo!

thanks!

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

this is pretty much what i was going to say.

Latest Discussions