staff type question

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello
i am about to buy a staff for my kung fu class and now i found 2 types of staffs Bo's and Jo's. does anybody know the difference?
and maybe where to get one?
the ones im looking at are on amazon.com!

thanks

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Usually a jo is about 4' long and is often used more like a sword. Usually a bo is nearer to 6' long and is used as a staff. But a bo especially can vary in length.

Both of these are Japanese--you might need something a little different for a Chinese martial art. Some of them use very long or very flexible staves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Bo and Jo are two entirely different weapons with different applications. What is the context of the training for which they are intended? Physical difference....a Jo is approx 4 ft long, a Bo is typically about 6 ft.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ask your instructor whether you need to buy a jo or a bo stick (or both?). Since you are training in your kung fu class, it would be well to ask which.

- Ceicei

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yes, this is exactly what im looking at
what i need is a 72" (6 ft) staff, with some flexibility too, although wooden!
imma be using it to learn staff forms (maybe beat up my brother at some points, but im buying him one too to be fair) i expect me to have to hit it against the ground at some points so im hoping it wouldnt break
thanks

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ask your instructor what to get, there are also different things a staff can be made of, and they handle really different. If you order a solid oak one and you are being taught a form that should use a fairly flexible rattan one you'll end up ordering again.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Find out if he wants a bo staff, or a tapered staff. Each have different applications and shouldn't be substituted for each other.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ask your instructor... he should be able to provide what you need for what you're learning.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chinese Arts typically prefer a white waxwood staff, tapered slightly, but only at ONE end.

Japanese Arts use Bo's or Jo's. There are 2 types of Bo's, they are either tapered at BOTH ends, or they are symetrical, more like a dowel.

-Michael

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another thing is that a jo staff is typically a good bit thinner than its corresponding bo staff counterpart. This reduces the weight to even more of an extend, and allows it to be used one-handed with relative ease.

If you get a jo or bo, I strongly recommend against most types of oak, unless you can get a tight-grained cut. Most red and white oak woods are porous, with the red oak ones being even moreso.

What are you going to be using this staff for? Just forms? Contact drills?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
Chinese Arts typically prefer a white waxwood staff, tapered slightly, but only at ONE end.

Japanese Arts use Bo's or Jo's. There are 2 types of Bo's, they are either tapered at BOTH ends, or they are symetrical, more like a dowel.

-Michael

Depends if the material being presented is a single or double ended stick. If single ended, sure the rat tail staff is used/preferred. But if double ended, you don't want to use a single for it. It doesn't feel right in the hands or work correctly.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
Another thing is that a jo staff is typically a good bit thinner than its corresponding bo staff counterpart. This reduces the weight to even more of an extend, and allows it to be used one-handed with relative ease.

If you get a jo or bo, I strongly recommend against most types of oak, unless you can get a tight-grained cut. Most red and white oak woods are porous, with the red oak ones being even moreso.

What are you going to be using this staff for? Just forms? Contact drills?

I have a hickory rokushakubo that's about 14 years in my posession & is magnificent. When I was active in JMA it was great, but with the CMA I do now there's only certain times I can use it & not worry about snapping it on the ground. But it's a champ!!

Eric Daniel

Green Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
Hello
i am about to buy a staff for my kung fu class and now i found 2 types of staffs Bo's and Jo's. does anybody know the difference?
and maybe where to get one?
the ones im looking at are on amazon.com!

thanks
The difference between a Bo and a Jo is that a bo is usually 6'tall and a jo is about 4' tall. You can purcahse online at centuryfitness.com Hope that helps

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yep
that all helps
thanks to all...
i think what im looking for was actually the waxwood white staff that's made of some tree root or something like that.
thanks

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
just wanted to document this for future reference (if any)
i ended up buying 2 waxwood staffs 84" long and tappered at only one end..
it was bummed that they are too skinny i think! like an inch at the thickest end..
i think school is gonna force me to buy one from them, which could be a bit pricy! oh well...
thanks to all

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
just wanted to document this for future reference (if any)
i ended up buying 2 waxwood staffs 84" long and tappered at only one end..
it was bummed that they are too skinny i think! like an inch at the thickest end..
i think school is gonna force me to buy one from them, which could be a bit pricy! oh well...
thanks to all

What does your school sell?

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i have no clue!
i know they sell the waxwood tappered on one side
all i saw is their staffs standing against the wall
they looked thicker to me. not a lot thicker
but mine look like speghettis dude!