staff size?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am by no means an informed source on this but I'll open the dialogue, so to speak, with the (mis?)conception that a staff should be as long as you are tall.

I really should put a question mark on the end of that tho' - which should be a warning as to how 'sound' my comment is :D.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are looking for something like a bo traditionally you would be looking at about 6'.

A jo style staff is a shorter weapon, traditionally about 4'.

Sukerkin is right though, about as tall as you for a bo is appropriate.

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
SukerKin is, from what I have heard, correct. My first instructor liked his staff to be about a palm's width taller than he was, though some tournament competitors like theirs a few inches shorter than they are (better for spins, etc.) so as tall are you are is a good rule to go by.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on the staff system you're going to learn. Some use a "long staff" that only reaches to shoulder height, while others use a "long staff" that's goes up to your fingertips when you extend your arm over your head, and I even know of one system that uses a 12 foot plus staff!

Consult with your instructor to find out the right length for what you'll be taught. If in doubt, 6 ft or so is a good starting point, typically. Error on long, because you can always trim it -- but it's hard to add length!

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Most retailers stock 6' bo, so there isn't much choice there. Jo are typically 4' as well.

Sounds like you are going it on your own, so it shouldn't matter until you find out what style you are after.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Depends on the art you are studying. I have both bo and jo as I study both kobudo and aikido. 6' staves seem to be standard for open tournament competitions.

Latest Discussions