Speed...

D

David4516

Anyone have any general tips on how to become faster?

I find that I am a bit slower than most my fellow students at my rank... so I'd like to become faster... so I'm looking for good ideas/tips, I'm sure someone here has a really awsome idea that I would never think of on my own...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This may result in an hyperextension but do your kicks as knee strikes with extension. You should feel a pull in your tummy muscles as well as your thigh. That should give your kicks all the speed you need.
Sean

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I don't know how to do a link but under the thread "Building Faster Kick" in this section, if you haven't read it already, there is a great post by Thunder Foot. It gives some really good suggestions. Mostly it is about alot of practice and muscle development. Good luck!

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
muscle development with increased flexibility. The best thing to do is to work on your timing though. It is even better than speed.

I'm one of the fastest around, but I get picked apart by my instructor because he has magnificent timing. Timing is the key.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Han-Mi said:
muscle development with increased flexibility. The best thing to do is to work on your timing though. It is even better than speed.

I'm one of the fastest around, but I get picked apart by my instructor because he has magnificent timing. Timing is the key.
Mass times velocity equals power; therfore, timing is not better than speed and power, it is an implimentation of speed and power, or dare I say part of speed and power. :asian:
Sean

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I believe that quickness is better than speed, so I would be doing drills that helps build your quickness... Like one step kick or even better half step to get the kick going work on snapping your kicks at the right moment this will help build quicker kicks...God Bless America

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand that a plyometrics routine is suppose to be the best way to build quickness. Never having had any particular need to use it I can't speak with any great authority. Has anyone here used the approach? Comments?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

This may not help you with speed but it may be of comfort to know you are not alone!

kik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here a suggestion that worked for me.
After warming up and stretching I would go to the heavy bag and practice my kicks at least 30 times with each leg. I would hit as hard and as fast as I could.

If your technique is proper for each kick, you should realize a noticable difference in speed and power after about a month ...But remember this is something you want to do at least 5 days a week...no less.

Kik

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Mass times velocity equals power; therfore, timing is not better than speed and power, it is an implimentation of speed and power, or dare I say part of speed and power. :asian:
Sean
Since I started here, I've been watching your post(mainly cause your name is easy to remember) and I have come to a conclusion; You just like to disagree with people.:rolleyes:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Han-Mi said:
Since I started here, I've been watching your post(mainly cause your name is easy to remember) and I have come to a conclusion; You just like to disagree with people.:rolleyes:
I think you might be on to something. :wink2:
Sean

OP
R

RCastillo

Sprint work definately rates consideration here, no matter how old one is! :asian:

kik

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

HAN-Mi,
obviously you don't read well either. I have not disagreed with anyone, I simply gave a suggestion that worked for me. My teacher taught me that with power and conditioning comes SPEED.

I'm sorry you feel that I'm a disagreeab;e person.

Kik

OP
T

TKD USA

Um, Han-Mi wasn't talking to you kik he was talking to Touch of Death.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
kik said:

HAN-Mi,
obviously you don't read well either. I have not disagreed with anyone, I simply gave a suggestion that worked for me. My teacher taught me that with power and conditioning comes SPEED.

I'm sorry you feel that I'm a disagreeab;e person.

Kik
HEHE, I agreed with you, I was not even talking to you.... You should have taken the time to read the quote above my post. You are quick to jump to the offensive. Keep training, but I 'd say your mind needs a little work.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Han-Mi said:
HEHE, I agreed with you, I was not even talking to you.... You should have taken the time to read the quote above my post. You are quick to jump to the offensive. Keep training, but I 'd say your mind needs a little work.

It was just a mistake. I think we all make them. Forgive and forget. Don't you think you were a little harsh about the mind comment? Why attack him? If you stopped to think, it reflects on you more.

And while I'm at it, TOD had made alot of good observations about different posts, I've noticed. Sometimes, he agrees, sometimes puts 2 and 2 together and sometimes disagrees. Just like all of us. Usually not far off the mark in my opinion. I find that he has some good reasoning power that will hold him in good stead as a moderator. TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Sean

Hmm... I always thought of timing as a matter of perception and proper application rather than a physical attribute.

OP
D

David4516

Thanks to everybody who replyed... I think I have a few good ideas now... looks like I've got my work cut out for me...

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi David,
After Marginal pretty much repeated the same idea as TOD, I got to thinking and investigating speed and power more. I found a great site by Julian Lim called Korean Martial Arts. They listed under "training tips" a pretty good explanation for "understanding speed in martial arts" Tip 9/03
and a list how to improve speed, Tip 10/03.
Steps in training include: l. Basic conditioning, 2. Basic skills 3. Power development 4. Skill refinement 5. Skill loading 6. Full speed executions.
There are instructions for each step.

Link: http://jlimnet.ntitemp.com/index.html

Anyway, looked like a plan to me. TW

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Timing is a combination of speed and power."

"Timing is a matter of perception rather than a physical attribute"

Exact same thing? :idunno: To rephrase it so it seems clearer, I've always beleived that timing is a matter of understanding your opponent's rhythms, their telegraphs and so fourth. You anticipate a punch, so you punch in a way that'll intercept the attack, things like that.

That's not necessarially a matter of strenth or speed. That's being at the right place at the right time, and that's accomplished through strategy and tactics moreso than it is through purely physical means.