Spears

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I asked this question on a different forum nut thought I'd try to get some different answeres here.

Why is the spear not taught in FMA schools.. It was a part of the martial background of the islands but I have never heard of a school teaching it

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our school does a few days a year in spear training. I also leaned a few techniques from a man I met from Mindinao.

Black Grass

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
I asked this question on a different forum nut thought I'd try to get some different answeres here.

Why is the spear not taught in FMA schools.. It was a part of the martial background of the islands but I have never heard of a school teaching it

When I was in Mindinao I asked my Uncle a datu in the Bukidnon tribe, if he knew anyone that knew the old spear method, he said no cause "they use rifles now!". Although, the method is preserved some what in a war dance called Saot.

Remember, FMA is about ( or least was about) practicality. Its a battle field weapon. Most styles of FMA are not battlefield styles any more but about dueling or self protection.Hence most styles don't teach it.

Vince
aka Black Grass

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, rifles must surely have crowded out spears, and dueling is the focus of many modern FMAs! Someone made similar comments about spears in the original thread.

Yet, I still would expect to see more spearwork preserved than I actually do!

Latest Discussions