Sparring

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, i was watching some of the videos on mr. sanders website and a couple other links from around here. I noticed that during some of the sparring sessions the practioners are laying or sitting on one leg and they move in and out of these positions. I was just wondering if someone might be able to give me some insight on what they are doing exactly as i know nothing about these martial arts?

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
could you link to the websites? I'd like to see what you are refering to.

Thanks!

OP
E

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
tradrockrat said:
could you link to the websites? I'd like to see what you are refering to.

Thanks!

Sure thing, here is one

http://www.cimande.com/media/index.htm

funny i cant find the other atm but this will do its in the clip of sanders and suwanda sparring, the top one. was also in another example but i must not have bookmarked it...

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Eviscerate said:
Hey guys, i was watching some of the videos on mr. sanders website and a couple other links from around here. I noticed that during some of the sparring sessions the practioners are laying or sitting on one leg and they move in and out of these positions. I was just wondering if someone might be able to give me some insight on what they are doing exactly as i know nothing about these martial arts?

in certain rural areas in indonesia, most of us sits on the floor cross-legged (not on chairs like westerners). so we have many defense techniques from sitting-on-the-floor situations.

OP
E

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
jujutsu_indonesia said:
in certain rural areas in indonesia, most of us sits on the floor cross-legged (not on chairs like westerners). so we have many defense techniques from sitting-on-the-floor situations.

I see.

GuruJim1

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think the positions you are asking about is sela (See-Laws) position. The silat player can go into the sempak or dempak position (a standing twist leg position that either your lead foot steps behind, or your rear foot step forward into a twist stance). For example:

Attacker does a front kick:
I would take my lead foot behind my rear leg (Treat Step) while do a blocking or destruction to their shin. Once their kick is no longer a threat I would then step forwards with a kick and/or other counter.

Attacker does a wheel kick:
Drop straight down into the cross leg sitting position to duck the kick. Now let say the attacker see that you are now sitting and then tried to kick you in the head. Scoop his front kick with your right arm as you stand back up. Kick to his groin, or susporting leg.

The sempaks and dempaks can be use to Evade attacks or you can attack from these position as well. The sitting position can be used to bait your attacker into attacking you because your sitting down and appear to be at a disadvantage position. This is only a few of the uses of these techniques. Hope this helped you understand better.

OP
E

Eviscerate

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
GuruJim1 said:
I think the positions you are asking about is sela (See-Laws) position. The silat player can go into the sempak or dempak position (a standing twist leg position that either your lead foot steps behind, or your rear foot step forward into a twist stance). For example:

Attacker does a front kick:
I would take my lead foot behind my rear leg (Treat Step) while do a blocking or destruction to their shin. Once their kick is no longer a threat I would then step forwards with a kick and/or other counter.

Attacker does a wheel kick:
Drop straight down into the cross leg sitting position to duck the kick. Now let say the attacker see that you are now sitting and then tried to kick you in the head. Scoop his front kick with your right arm as you stand back up. Kick to his groin, or susporting leg.

The sempaks and dempaks can be use to Evade attacks or you can attack from these position as well. The sitting position can be used to bait your attacker into attacking you because your sitting down and appear to be at a disadvantage position. This is only a few of the uses of these techniques. Hope this helped you understand better.

Yeah, you know its real interesting i've never seen that type of thing before. Was reading about how the animals influence the training and it kinda reminded me of how some snakes (cobras) rise and sink vertically. Im creeped out by snakes but the similarity is there...:)

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Eviscerate said:
Sure thing, here is one

http://www.cimande.com/media/index.htm

funny i cant find the other atm but this will do its in the clip of sanders and suwanda sparring, the top one. was also in another example but i must not have bookmarked it...

Wow - nice clip. I'm really struck by the similarities to the Bando Cobra style. The forms in Cobra start on the floor seated and rise to face the attacker, so I would definitly agree with what has already been posted here about collapsing and rising. I'm not that knowledgable about Silat, but my curiosity is whetted.

Latest Discussions