Sparring one of my green belt students

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well firstly what's up with the title? Korean karate? Is that we're calling taekwondo these days? Reminds me of the movie best of the best where a bunch of guys obviously doing taekwondo are competing in a "karate" tournament.

As for the sparring itself move around more you're standing still most of the time. I'd like to see you spar another black belt or even brown belt. Most of your videos are of you fighting lower ranks and tbh going in quite hard on them. You want to improve you need to be sparring with guys better than you

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know much about that style, so correct me if there is a reason for this, but it seems like you would get hit a lot less if your back hand wasn't down at your hip where it isn't really doing much.

Nice tricky kicks tho!

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well firstly what's up with the title? Korean karate? Is that we're calling taekwondo these days? Reminds me of the movie best of the best where a bunch of guys obviously doing taekwondo are competing in a "karate" tournament.

As for the sparring itself move around more you're standing still most of the time. I'd like to see you spar another black belt or even brown belt. Most of your videos are of you fighting lower ranks and tbh going in quite hard on them. You want to improve you need to be sparring with guys better than you

I spar other black belts when I can . Unfortunately they are not readily available for me. I spar my students when I can , and at least help them improve.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I spar other black belts when I can . Unfortunately they are not readily available for me. I spar my students when I can , and at least help them improve.
What about the Korean karate title I'm genuinely curious about that

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It’s been called Korean karate for a very long time. Possibly longer than it’s been called TKD. I don’t like the name personally, as I think it TKD has become too distinct to be called Korean karate, it that’s just me. The OP certainly isn’t starting a trend or giving it a new and creative name he made up by any means.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@Azulx
Great job with the sparring here. Last time I was saying how you and your students were going back and forth, waiting for each other to finish your combos before countering. There was pretty much none of that here; you started pretty much every counter while your partner was throwing his combo (I think he, can’t tell due to the helmet and all). It’s kind of hard to tell exactly, but it looks like you used some angles during it as well instead of the straight back and forth stuff from last time. And it looks like you’re far more explosive with going in for the counter. I’m quite impressed with the difference.

Just one thing, then I’ll defer to the experts here: do you always spar your students this way? If so, please don’t. Give them a chance to work on their stuff. Dominating them like that doesn’t do them much good. It teaches them a lot of great things as they’re seeing how it’s supposed to be done. But if that’s all they’re getting during sparring, all they’ll start learning after a while is how to get beat more efficiently. I don’t think that’s the case; I think you did this specifically for assessing your sparring, but just throwing it out there in case I’m wrong.

Edit: Hands up! I know it’s hard when you’re out-classing the competition, but it’s not a great habit to form. You won’t always be sparring green belts, and you don’t want them copying your unintentional example. You can tell them to keep their hands up until you’re blue in the face, but seeing you not do it is far more powerful. The whole “do as I say, not as I do” line comes to mind here.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much what JR says. The hands were my first thought, and hoping you’re letting them have some rank-appropriate sparring was my second.

More than once it looked like your hand strikes were too far away to hit effectively, but that might just be you backing them out to leg range.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you both did a fine job. I see a great deal of growth in the way you move over the last two years. I mean that sincerely, a great deal of growth and improvement. Keep it up, bro.

I don't see you dominating your student at all. If anything, you were being gentle. Maybe turn the heat up a little bit. The green belt did a good job as well. Good job taking him this far, push him even more [as I'm sure you will] Keep pushing that boy. He needs some mongoose in him.

As teachers, we're always going to yell about hands up. That's part of our job description. But I know where you're coming from in this type of sparring against a student at this part of his journey. Good job, keep it up.

Keep that boy working on his break fall and cover when hitting the ground.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
@Azulx
Great job with the sparring here. Last time I was saying how you and your students were going back and forth, waiting for each other to finish your combos before countering. There was pretty much none of that here; you started pretty much every counter while your partner was throwing his combo (I think he, can’t tell due to the helmet and all). It’s kind of hard to tell exactly, but it looks like you used some angles during it as well instead of the straight back and forth stuff from last time. And it looks like you’re far more explosive with going in for the counter. I’m quite impressed with the difference.

Just one thing, then I’ll defer to the experts here: do you always spar your students this way? If so, please don’t. Give them a chance to work on their stuff. Dominating them like that doesn’t do them much good. It teaches them a lot of great things as they’re seeing how it’s supposed to be done. But if that’s all they’re getting during sparring, all they’ll start learning after a while is how to get beat more efficiently. I don’t think that’s the case; I think you did this specifically for assessing your sparring, but just throwing it out there in case I’m wrong.

Edit: Hands up! I know it’s hard when you’re out-classing the competition, but it’s not a great habit to form. You won’t always be sparring green belts, and you don’t want them copying your unintentional example. You can tell them to keep their hands up until you’re blue in the face, but seeing you not do it is far more powerful. The whole “do as I say, not as I do” line comes to mind here.

I will spar my two highest ranks with this or more intensity once to twice a month. My students spar each other every class I have about 7. I usually don't spar my student until they are yellow belts which takes about 3-6 months of training, But I keep that level of intensity for my two senior students, not for anyone else. This will change when my white belts eventually become green belts and so fourth.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score

Many schools in my area call Taekwondo Korean Karate, I personally try not get to hung up on names. Why the name change? I wanted to see what videos would produce more interaction, one with Karate Sparring or Taekwondo Sparring as their titles.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score

I would have to respectfully disagree, I did not think I was dominating my student. He was doing just fine, dealing with a higher dose of pressure than he is used to. I didn't feel that he was scared, overwhelmed, or not getting anything out of the session.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score

I'd also have to respectfully disagree, there are examples of me sparring black belts on my channel, as well as several examples posted here over the years. I would not say that I was sparring my student hard by any means. My strikes were controlled, with absolutely no intent to do any damage besides maybe a scratch or a small bruise.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you both did a fine job. I see a great deal of growth in the way you move over the last two years. I mean that sincerely, a great deal of growth and improvement. Keep it up, bro.

I don't see you dominating your student at all. If anything, you were being gentle. Maybe turn the heat up a little bit. The green belt did a good job as well. Good job taking him this far, push him even more [as I'm sure you will] Keep pushing that boy. He needs some mongoose in him.

As teachers, we're always going to yell about hands up. That's part of our job description. But I know where you're coming from in this type of sparring against a student at this part of his journey. Good job, keep it up.

Keep that boy working on his break fall and cover when hitting the ground.
I really appreciate and respect this Buka , as always thank you for your input.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd also have to respectfully disagree, there are examples of me sparring black belts on my channel, as well as several examples posted here over the years. I would not say that I was sparring my student hard by any means. My strikes were controlled, with absolutely no intent to do any damage besides maybe a scratch or a small bruise.
Or knocking your sparring partner to the floor

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Some constructive criticism:

- Keep your hands higher and protect your face / jaw, if you're going to get knocked out, there's a 75% chance it's going to be your jaw that will get hit, 20% your liver, 5% anything else.

- Keep your chin down, sometimes you're trying to "look over" your opponents arms to see what you want to hit. This is a mistake. Try instead to keep your chin slightly down and look through your opponents guard.

- Keep moving rather than standing in the same spot, Circle your opponent especially towards their back and stay away from their power arm (rear arm).

- Turn your shoulders and hips more when punching to generate more power.

- Try to block low kicks with your legs and not your arms, if you're going to use your arms, catch the kick and flip the person over.

Respect for having the courage to post and looking for tips.

Latest Discussions