Sparring in KF tourneys?

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Something that I've noticed, is that there seems to be no sparring in tournaments that are focused on kung fu (at least of the ones I've seen). Is this due to the nature of the styles (ie, technique, form, and tradition being the focus), or have I by some fluke just not seen sparring tournaments as of yet?

dmax999

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The tournaments local to me have stopped the full contact sparring for a year, but it may be back next year (Not sure of reason for halt). I believe the continuous sparring is still going on.

At the tourneys I go to the full contact is usually held on Friday evening/night. The "normal" part of the tournament is held on Saturday and Sunday with the continuous sparring happening later in the days. If you don't know its coming up it may appear the tournament is getting ready to close up before they start the sparring (Usually less then half the people spar)

Thats just the ones local to me, but you may have seen a similar thing where you are.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
not that traditional kung fu practices sparring with no pads or sparring gear, besides most of traditional KF families like to preserve knowledge within the family so they keep this kind of fighting within the school.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
not that traditional kung fu practices sparring with no pads or sparring gear, besides most of traditional KF families like to preserve knowledge within the family so they keep this kind of fighting within the school.

I really didnt know that. I know that I dont hear much when it comes to tournaments though. Why wouldnt schools want to practice against others to see how well they are progressing instead of just against the same people and style? (im not a big fan of sparring but im curious)

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
I really didnt know that. I know that I dont hear much when it comes to tournaments though. Why wouldnt schools want to practice against others to see how well they are progressing instead of just against the same people and style? (im not a big fan of sparring but im curious)

ah, im here to negate myself!
historically traditional kung fu is all about challenging other schools and other styles to promote own style or school. but i do not even know if that exists anymore, at least in the US schools. but training is usually done in closed schools so people do not see how you are training and beat you! you want to keep your secret to yourself.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you have just seen some of the smaller (less martial) tourneys. Most larger ones I have been too include "sparring" (continuous), chi sau, push hands, Shui Chau (spelling), San Shou, etc.

7sm

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I think you have just seen some of the smaller (less martial) tourneys. Most larger ones I have been too include "sparring" (continuous), chi sau, push hands, Shui Chau (spelling), San Shou, etc.

7sm
btw, 7sm. we have an inter-school chi sau class this saturday. i hear some blood is going to be spilled here and there. do you have tips for me?
im scared because my level is the least experienced level...

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:

7sm

Interesting... are these tournaments you mention an annual occurrence? Or just every so often? If annual, where do they generally take place, and what are they called?

Thanks for the info!

(Also, for those of you who compete in tournaments... do you have to be sponsored by your school, or otherwise 'given their blessing' in order to participate? Or can you go independently (ie, on your own) as long as you make sure your school is recognized? I haven't been in a tournament, myself, so it's something that got me thinking.)

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan said:
Interesting... are these tournaments you mention an annual occurrence? Or just every so often? If annual, where do they generally take place, and what are they called?

Thanks for the info!

(Also, for those of you who compete in tournaments... do you have to be sponsored by your school, or otherwise 'given their blessing' in order to participate? Or can you go independently (ie, on your own) as long as you make sure your school is recognized? I haven't been in a tournament, myself, so it's something that got me thinking.)
i would only participate under my school
they're the ones who taught me and they deserve all credit (or curse, if i do bad haha)

OP
Jonathan

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
mantis said:
i would only participate under my school
they're the ones who taught me and they deserve all credit (or curse, if i do bad haha)

Oh, I meant that you'd make people aware which school you attend, only that fellow students and/or instructors would not necessarily also attend- like you're flying solo, but under your school's banner.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
btw, 7sm. we have an inter-school chi sau class this saturday. i hear some blood is going to be spilled here and there. do you have tips for me?
im scared because my level is the least experienced level...

Heh, yeah stay relaxed and dont speed it up. Let the other person speed up, you keep your game. Also, dont let your guard down, playing with people you aren't used to its a huge mistake to assume how they are going to play. Always be ready. Many times we will assume the guy across is going to understand our game or intent and lower our guard, thats when you get hurt. Just have fun and try things, you will be fine.

Jonathan said:

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, it all depends on which ones your talking about. Ones such as Taiji Legacy are annual and quite large, others are smaller and local. Check your local schools, doesn't have to be just your style, many tournements are open or include many styles. The rules and such can change from one to another but generally its the same.

I dont generally compete anymore, just a few MMA events here and there. It all depends on the tournement and your school. Most dont require a base school to compete. You would want to speak with your instructor about how they feel about attending tournements aside from theirs, I dont see an issue with it personally.

7sm

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Heh, yeah stay relaxed and dont speed it up. Let the other person speed up, you keep your game. Also, dont let your guard down, playing with people you aren't used to its a huge mistake to assume how they are going to play. Always be ready. Many times we will assume the guy across is going to understand our game or intent and lower our guard, thats when you get hurt. Just have fun and try things, you will be fine.

7sm

man!
i just came back from that...
i tried keeping relaxed but some of those guys are very quick man, i couldnt keep up for the most part.
i did not get hurt, i think i did well actually except when i touched hands with mr. everheart (or everhard, didnt catch his name) he is one of the instructors. he got to enjoy punching me in the face a couple of times, plus that nasty finger lock he performed on me... :whip:
i think i need to practice more, but hey, if you happen to come to irvine i'd be more than happy to receive some punches from your fists to my face :)

Latest Discussions