Sparring forms and gear

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
What kind of contact do you have when sparring and what gear do you use?
Please state your art when posting if it's not in your profile/more than one art.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
We are kenpo school, we use vinyl and foam sparring gear, dipped foam headgear. The handgear is light and I've broken my hand punching someone in the head through it.

Contact varies on level of practitioner, upper belts can (not always) go full contact. If a lower belt wants to play at that level, they can. Most of the time upper rank just goes for "hard contact," which means full contact to the body, and a bit lighter to the head. Bloody noses or a "shiner" are pretty typical at this level.

Lamont

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, today we were doing evasion and counter drills...mostly footwork drills. So we did very light contact with no gear at all

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
in kenpo its the generic plastic coverd foad gear, light contact sparring, in Tkd, WTf style, we wear the hogu, and do heavy contact to the body, light/medium to the head.

G

goshawk

Kenpo for me. We use your pretty standard vinyl, foam, or cloth shin and foot guards, really depends on what the person can afford, but there's a strict rule on 16oz gloves as it can get a little rough sometimes. Knee- and elbow- pads if you want to use knees and elbows. Headgear is optional, but it's either both people with or both people without to avoid a nose/face-cage incident. (The school orders and sells helmets to us at cost, they're, um..."dipped foam", maybe? I think so. Anyways, with face-cages because Ralph got tired of cleaning blood out of the mats. ::grin:: )

Contact is light for beginners, and after that you work it up to where you're comfortable (always controlled, though, or you lose sparring privileges). Hard-contact to the body, about half-power to the head. I've been hit hard enough to ring my bell a couple times, and there's the odd bloody nose/puffy eye, but nothing ever too serious. The instructors go harder with each other but that's only to be expected. I guess it's just enough to get you used to being hit but not enough to actually hurt you.

J

jkdhit

varies depending on where im sparring or who im sparring with..

tkd - i use head gear, mouth piece, cup, and sometimes shin or foot guards, full contact

jkd - i use head gear, mouth piece, cup, chest protector, gloves, full contact

san da - i use head gear, mouth piece, cup, gloves, and shin guards, full contact

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm, I like this post for some reason.

Ryu-Te and Classical JuJitsu
Bogu Kumite Gear
Full speed and full contact all of the time
Full point for knocking down the opponet
Of course if you ko him you win
And a half point for hitting the person so hard you buckle their knees or one knee goes down
Great way to learn full power and full speed techniques

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have TKD/WTF type chestgear. I prefer the ones with the spine protector. We also use forearm, shin & instep, foam headgear with face cage, gloves. Even with all that it leaves biceps, and legs vulnerable to bruises.

Our contact is according to the exercise and according to the level of the student. At almost full contact for the black belts, the chestgear saves ribs but not discomfort or getting the air whooshed out of you. We do light contact to the head always. Well, except in accidents. We had one guy get a detached retina from getting hit by a heel when his body went too low after a previous hit. But injuries can happen at any level. TW

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chito-ryu: we use headgear(Ringside), we use 18oz boxing gloves, foot and shin pads, mouthpiece, chest protectors(optional for male BB's over 16), elbow pads. Lvele of gear and the level of contact varies by rank and age. Sometimes we use no gear or switch glove types.

TKD: Foot and shin pads, lightweight hand pads, cup, mouthpiece.

Kobudo: kendo, bogu, or WEKAF gear.

Other types of sparring it can vary from no gear to heavy gear. Most of the time we use Thai kickboxing rules with grappling allowed. Contact tends to be very heavy in the 18-36 year old male group. On occasion we have some broken bones, but mostly just bloody noses and bruises. I try to keep it as safe as possible.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I always torn between going with less protection for greater feel and more protection for protection. When you armor up (Hogu) do you take risks that you would'nt. Do you get complacement towards hits to the body

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Competition team training gets pretty heavy- pretty much full contact, get some brusises but everyone uses common sense and uses a lot of control, and for those that aren't comfortable yet, they work up to it
Regular sparring- comfort level of the fighters
Gear- Helmets mandatory under 16 (I have top ten helmet..its the best, your brains don't rattle so much after hook kicks to the head)
Gloves- open or closed
Foot gear
Mouthguard

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
WTF TKD - We use the typical TKD gear already mentioned. The lower ranks is light contact. The advanced students/black belts usually go hard contact. If the lower ranks wanna go harder, they can (or at least I let them hit me hard if they want).

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks

When I was coming up through the ranks, My instructor asked me one day why we wear Bogu gear. I stood tall and proud and said, Sir, it's so we dotn get hurt. He yelled, WRONG, You going to get hurt, it so you no get killed. seems the emphasis is more and more on sport.
Someone once asked me and I think I noticed a remark ealrier that simply said dont we get a little complaicent about body shots. I know I have seen and have done full contact body shots with hand gear on and my opponet wearing cheast gear and have on several occasion K.O'd ppl. I dont take bogu lightly. I know several years ago in Japan a match happended and one of the fellows wasnt wearing his head gear properly, when he got hit, The hit caused neck and spinal injuries and the fellow died. This isnt sport.

Just my 2 1/2 cents worth,

Thanks

San

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I wear arm guards and use light contact, I get complacent about evasion. I'll block shots with the arms because they don't hurt, rather than evading.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD is my Art and I wear no gear when sparring but the students wear a Hogu,helmet,shin instep and forearms graud. In Full contact ITI no Hugu but they wear Foam arm pads and feet along side the helmit.

Terry Lee Stoker

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WTF Style TKD

I wear forearm and instep/shin guards for normal practice which is usually light contact. I add the hogu and helmet for full contact.

Students wear - hogu, instep/shin guards (vinyl w/padding, cup, helmet (dipped), and mouthguard. Basic USTU setup.

The standard hogu is being replaced with the newer one with the wings (shoulder padding) & spine protector as they become available.

Latest Discussions