Son is dead over a $200 bottle of cologne

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What happened was that after the high school graduation, they were on their way to dinner, a $200 bottle of cologne was missing.
Father got upset since it was a gift for the son and went back to the parking garage.

In the end the son dies from a stab wound and the father has been arrested.

The story is that the father threw the first punch and the parking attendants acted in self defense. But no one knew for sure.

That is until the footage was released.
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/vid...death-of-football-star-isayah-muller-20110708

I understand emotions are running high. It is a proud moment for the father and gets ruined because the present he bought for his son is missing, maybe stolen.
All he had to do was call the cops. That's it. Attacking the attendants just made things worse.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like the blame here falls squarely on the over reacting father.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So,etimes people elt there emotions get the best of them. He should have just called the police and did things the right way.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pretty open and shut if you ask me.

I know that the family is naturally going to try to spin the story, but come on....

Benevolentbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Watching the video and hearing the father's past prison sentences...it was definitely the dad. The guy is a thug pure and simple. The parking attendants didn't even fight back until things got potentially deadly for them. And to the people who feel bad for the son, ya it sucks he got killed, nobody deserves to die. However, if you watch the video you'll see that he was beating the crap out of an innocent man, things like this tend to happen as a result. If you ask me, people like this have to be prepared to face the potential consequences of their actions if they're gonna go around beating people up.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So,etimes people elt there emotions get the best of them. He should have just called the police and did things the right way.
I strongly agree... however; the facts are against the father. Due to his prison record he'd more-n-likely be the last person to call the police though he may have been in the right about the missing $200.00 bottle of cologne, previous charges of armed robbery and heroin dealing... umm, I don't think a person with that mind set is going to feel good about calling the police. Maybe it's stereotyping prison parolees or what not but the mind-set is there. Having the idea that the cops are going to look at HIS record and hold it against him. Add that he over-reacted continually. Throwing the first punch, trying to throw a bicycle, then coming in with a metal snow-shovel, and attacking each time in an enclosed space. Then having his son attacking as well...

Now what the F!!! are parking lot attendants doing with a fricken machete I haven't a clue. Granted it deterred the attack(s) for a little bit but a machete?!? At home, in your car I can understand because it's personal property. But at work? The other guy had a (presumably) regular knife and used that and thus killed the son. If the son was armed then yeah, defense but it's a messed up situation either way.
Tragedy is a freshly graduated student loses their life before it can truly begin.
The two attendants hard to say ... they rightly defended themselves but the use of weaponry was probably the wrong choice. One used a chair (good choice IMO) to fend off the snow-shovel.

Another bad move by the dad... choosing to get into an altercation with a pregnant woman nearby. It could've ended with worse consequences.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, the attendant stabbed the guy with a "homemade knife" according to the news story. So yeah a machete and a shiv were involved. The facts here are still pretty clear but I was wondering about that too.

OP
K

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Open and shut in terms of the father.

The parking attendant who stabbing the son reminds me of this case.

http://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index.php?topic=484.30;wap2

What happened was an FMA stabbed a bouncer who was choking his friend. Bouncer ended up bleeding to death.

FMA was convicted of manslaughter.

I think the difference is that the parking attendant was defending himself from the son.

In the bouncer situation the FMA was defending his friend.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Like father, like son.

The kid chose to act like his father instead of restraining him and wound up paying a huge price for mutual stupidity.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lesson #1: If an item is that expensive, use some caution and common sense, and be more careful where you keep expensive things. If the item was in fact that expensive, why not wait until you get home to give the gift?

The father assumed the attendants stole the item, when in fact nobody knew who took it.

Its a shame a life was lost over this, and of course I'm not surprised how the family sides with the nutjob father, when clearly, his actions are caught on tape.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The attendants were a lot more gracious than I would have been. I don't think I would have been opening my backpacks and desk drawers voluntarily.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I hate to say it because it`s so darned pointless, but I hope to God somebody actually did take the cologne. If it gets found under the seat later or if it was simply left behind at the graduation site how much more pain would finding it later cause the family.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As much as I would hate to say THIS... I wonder if there WAS a $200.00 bottle of cologne to begin with? Hope Dad at least kept the receipt... oh yeah, it was in the bag with the cologne... :rolleyes:
I say that given the father's past criminal record, his actions towards the attendants ... and his plea of "not guilty"... c'mon dude was it really just a scam to GET a $200 cologne or at least a check for that amount? Why didn't the father initiate calling the police for a crime? We'll probably never know will we?
Also I can't for the life of me imagine paying $200 for cologne. Hell, my gf and I are happy with the $9.00 and $20.00 gift packs of either Stetson or some other brand. Sheesh.

It's the lack of initiative to bring the law into the picture whereas most people would've had the common sense to do so. NOT calling the police simply says something about the man's attitude towards the law and given his (violent) criminal record, I don't think it's a reach to go there.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Also I can't for the life of me imagine paying $200 for cologne. Hell, my gf and I are happy with the $9.00 and $20.00 gift packs of either Stetson or some other brand. Sheesh.

I can imagine some that are priced that high and higher-I can't imagine paying the retail price, though-retail is for schmucks. :lfao:

I also can't imagine wearing most of them-I get a lot of complements for Calvin Klein Truth, and it's not nearly that expensive.....

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Calling the cops would have been a big waste of time. They would have been hours getting there, then taken some statements, and then left. The cologne wouldn't have magically appeared and no one would have gotten justice. The cops don't give a **** about a missing bottle of men's perfume, and they aren't going to commit any resources to the hunt.

That doesn't make violent armed assault the right answer, but the idea that calling the cops would have accomplished anything of value is simply wishful thinking. It's not like he had the culprit red handed. All he had was his word that it was there before and it's not there now. Even in a world where the cops really do care about serving and protecting there's nothing there for the cops to do.

No. The correct answer wasn't call the cops and it wasn't grab a weapon and attack the guys in the booth. Who knows if they were even the guys working the shift when the bottle supposedly disappeared? He could have spoken to their manager, but most of the time that isn't going to accomplish anything. Unless he has some reason to believe one of his employees is responsible he isn't going to be any help either, and even if he does he may not care.

The situation sucked. But it got way worse, and for no damn good reason. What did the dad think he was going to gain from attacking those guys with a weapon? Probably nothing. It was probably the same mentality that he used in prison. There was a perceived loss of face and he couldn't allow that. And now his son is dead. And of course his son was gonna jump in and back up his dad. It's not because he was a chip off the old block in any negative sense, although he might have been, it's because that's his dad.

My dad got brutally mugged about ten years ago, and I tell you this truthfully. If I knew today who did that then I would do bad things to them they would never recover from. Because he's my dad. And if my dad started a fight, which he never ever would because my dad is just an old fashioned "nice guy," maybe I would try to pull him out of it. But once battle is joined, I can't just let him take a beating. Because he's my dad.

This is heartbreaking. Even if we assume the worst of everyone involved. An exciting night of celebration and transition into adulthood turns turbulent, violent, and tragic. I could literally weep. Even if the dad was a complete monster, his son is dead. And his woman's son is dead. And it's all his fault. And his unborn child will never know his brother, because his dad got him killed. For no damn good reason at all.

So sad. So unnecessary. It seems obvious who's at fault here, although it does seem weird that the attendants had machetes and homemade knives. I wonder what that was about. Maybe this isn't the first time they've been assaulted at work. Maybe they're crazy too. Maybe it's something that's perfectly normal and just seems odd because of the rest of the story. After all, I have knives in my car. All for perfectly normal non-crazy reasons. One is a utility pocket knife I keep in the center console, one is an old kitchen knife in the trunk I keep in case I ever need a junk blade while doing emergency auto repair. In the wrong circumstances I suppose that could make me seem crazy too, like I have a car full of strange weapons. But that was never the point. Maybe one of these guys is a machete historian in his off time and was planning to go to a machete convention that night after work, and the other guy makes war inspired art out of found objects. Who knows? But it does seem like there's probably still more to this story.

Still, the video doesn't lie. Dad went crazy, son got dead. Sad. Sad. Sad.

-Rob

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Horrible situation. The video is pretty damning for the son as well though. I mean, the attendants closed the booth door, the son pushed it open once, then he knocked it down (with his dad following BEHIND him)and started hammering one of the attendants. What the attendants said and did, I don't know. Why did they have a machete in the booth? Maybe they grabbed it out of the lost and found? The homemade knife, well, I've seen some incredible works of art that were "homemade" knives. Or it could've been a sharpened turkey bone. Again, maybe it was in the lost and found. Now, I'd like to see the rest of the footage, they stop it after the son and father go back out the door, it looks like the attendants are going out after them. Did the son get stabbed in the booth or outside? If it was inside, well, I could see the case for self defense (using a knife against an unarmed man is a bit of a tricky legal situation). If it was outside, then it was punitive and not self defense.

Sucks all around. The dad is going back to prison, and his son is dead. All for a bottle of cologne and wounded pride.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Calling the cops would have been a big waste of time. They would have been hours getting there, then taken some statements, and then left. The cologne wouldn't have magically appeared and no one would have gotten justice. The cops don't give a **** about a missing bottle of men's perfume, and they aren't going to commit any resources to the hunt.
-Rob
Calling the cops would've had one thing accomplished after hours of giving statements... and yeah while some situations don't require code 3 responses or even a code 2... the call that imminent violence more-n-likely would've had a response time of 10 minutes or less, if worded correctly to 911.

The son going home alive, I don't think would've been a waste of time at all.

Lee Mainprize

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This is terrible and shows the worst case scenerio of getting into fights.

Avoid and protect only when its absolutely necessary - as a guy we don't like to back down and its a challenge to ego to do this.

But this shows what can happen when you don't.

Latest Discussions