Some Kenpo Applications On The Ground

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came across this clip of Mr. Joe Simonet. He's a high ranking Tracy Kenpo BB, and has experience in many other arts as well. Anyways, just thought this video was interesting as it shows his take on applying some stand up stuff, to the ground.

**Caution: Some adult language**

[yt]uLnOpX8m_nI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/yt]

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Eh, it's better than some of what I've seen from stand-up practitioners coming up with ground stuff. I don't think he has a ton of grappling experience.

The stuff from top of mount is valid, especially against someone who isn't an experienced MMA fighter. That said, it's not hard to be effective from top of mount against an untrained opponent. I could add some details to make it less dependent on speed and power.

The defense from bottom of mount is so-so. The trap & roll reversal is an important fundamental technique, but the entry into it could be improved.

The armlock from inside the guard is super low-percentage.

The stuff with the opponent inside his guard is valid, but missing a number of important details that would make it more effective.

I think he would be effective against a typical untrained street punk just by virtue of size, strength, speed and aggressiveness. In terms of technique for handling someone who is trained, or bigger, or both, he has significant room for improvement on the ground.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He is in mount and the guy on bottom is not trying to escape.

Is there a series on how to attack a guy while they are unconscious?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Eh, it's better than some of what I've seen from stand-up practitioners coming up with ground stuff. I don't think he has a ton of grappling experience.

The stuff from top of mount is valid, especially against someone who isn't an experienced MMA fighter. That said, it's not hard to be effective from top of mount against an untrained opponent. I could add some details to make it less dependent on speed and power.

The defense from bottom of mount is so-so. The trap & roll reversal is an important fundamental technique, but the entry into it could be improved.

The armlock from inside the guard is super low-percentage.

The stuff with the opponent inside his guard is valid, but missing a number of important details that would make it more effective.

I think he would be effective against a typical untrained street punk just by virtue of size, strength, speed and aggressiveness. In terms of technique for handling someone who is trained, or bigger, or both, he has significant room for improvement on the ground.

I have to say that I agree Tony. Particularly the armlock/armbar from inside the opponents guard. That is so low, low, low probability. Better than some but not great by any means!

Latest Discussions