Some good stuff that makes you wonder...

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
An old buddy of mine e-mailed me this website, saying I should look at the clips. We trained together under a brit of "questionable" kenpo lineage...according to him, he started in Hawaii after viet-nam, decided he wanted to learn more, and so moved to Japan for several years to learn "Chinese Kenpo" in Japan. Came back, teaching his own (we thought "supposedly") Japanese form of Chinese Kenpo.

He was quick with a camera, and had many photographs of himself at various stages of training with an old Japanese dude, "Sato Sensei". We all pretty much thought he was making it up, as we had heard rumor that he bought his rank from Professor Chow while Mr. Chow was in one of his more challenged mental states. But we stayed and trained, because he had some good stuff...we were just unsure about the dubious origins of it.

So, years go by....I get sent a link to this page, and this guy is moving (aside form the stances) much like Mr. Sampson, in sequences almost identical in type to our old requirements. Also has in his history that he learnt Chinese Kenpo in Japan from a Sato Sensei.

This technique looks a lot like the kenpo from the Hawaiian roots, and is almost spot for spot the flavor of the stuff I learned from my old teacher. I'm wondering if I may not have bum-steered him by not giving him the benefit of the doubt. That, or this Japanese guy got hold of some kenpo DVD's and flavored it his own way. Either or, there are some pretty decent sequences on the demo's on the page this link goes to.

Enjoy,

Dave

http://www.genbukan.org/s3/site/movies/koryu/7th_kyu/Hane_Kaeshi_No_Kamae_Kata.wmv

OP
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a PS -- his left hand checking position looks right out of a kenpo sequence, and this has flavors of unfurling crane to it. He also uses an overhead descending palm heel strike to the Governing Vessel spots on the top of skull...something I saw Mr. Parker do in a seminar off triggered salute, and have seen Mr. Chapel include as a option in the end of his raining claw.

What do y'all think...Hawaiian Kenpo spiced with Sake, or a possible genetic link between some Japanese okuden and our modern kenpo?

Regards,

Dave

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
From what I've read, the Genbukan's "karate" (or kempo) consists of the striking techniques from a couple of different Japanese koryu. Some of these used to be called "karate" via an obscure usage that has nothing to do with Okinawan martial arts.

Latest Discussions