Soaring costs force Canada to reassess health model

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Soaring costs force Canada to reassess health model

By Claire Sibonney - Analysis Claire Sibonney - Analysis Mon May 31, 2:38 pm ET Yahoo News/Reuters EXCERPT:

TORONTO (Reuters) – Pressured by an aging population and the need to rein in budget deficits, Canada's provinces are taking tough measures to curb healthcare costs, a trend that could erode the principles of the popular state-funded system.
Ontario, Canada's most populous province, kicked off a fierce battle with drug companies and pharmacies when it said earlier this year it would halve generic drug prices and eliminate "incentive fees" to generic drug manufacturers.
British Columbia is replacing block grants to hospitals with fee-for-procedure payments and Quebec has a new flat health tax and a proposal for payments on each medical visit -- an idea that critics say is an illegal user fee.
And a few provinces are also experimenting with private funding for procedures such as hip, knee and cataract surgery.
It's likely just a start as the provinces, responsible for delivering healthcare, cope with the demands of a retiring baby-boom generation. Official figures show that senior citizens will make up 25 percent of the population by 2036.
"There's got to be some change to the status quo whether it happens in three years or 10 years," said Derek Burleton, senior economist at Toronto-Dominion Bank.
END EXCERPT
Tell us again how the Canadian system is so much better.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Me, my kids, my sick elderly parents, (my parents went through cancer and serious heart problems these past two years and teh system worked perfectly for them), my brother's family, my sisters family, (including my sick nephew, (who has had more tests and surgeries then any 8 year old deserves), and everyone of my friends, have never had an issue with our health care.

Is it perfect? No. Does it need fixing? Of course. But to create something like universal health care and universal education and then expect it to run perfectly for decades is asinine. What you guys are getting south of the border is nothing like how ours works or is structured. Its comparing apples and oranges.

Everytime we tweak our health care system does not mean its broken and we should get rid of it, nor does it show any good reason why the health care system they are shoving down your throats down there is good or bad.

We get it, many US conservatives don't like socialized health care, but as a card carrying Canadian Conservative, I wouldn't get rid of our system for anything.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I Would hate to think what I would do in the USA. In Canada at least I know that when I crash again ( and it's not an if, it's a when. The drugs only work for so long then either the drugs become toxic or I am seizure way too much) I will get the help I need and be able to stay in the hospital as long as I need. In fact I will likely be screaming to get out before they are ready to release me.
This allows me to live with some degree of freedom. At least I know when the crash comes I will be taken care of, get all nessessary tests, the latest drugs and not have to worry " OMG how will I pay for this, again? ".
Or just be gotten stable, then sent home with barely adequate meds with no regards for the side effects. ( may cause nausea, yup so will sallmonela)

Lori

Latest Discussions