So… Now what

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This past weekend I found myself thinking an awful lot about MA and how long I have been training MA and how I currently really can’t train much due to my knee, which just does not seem to want to get better. And I had the thought that after almost 38 years of Martial Arts I may just have to retire from it as far as the actual application of it goes, that is if this knee finally wins the fight against the rest of me. Basically I can’t do any of forms, of any style I have trained at the moment, and as far as SD is concerned I cannot do any of it. Some of the Qigong I can do but even Santi is not possible right now so the Taijiquan and Xingyiquan forms are RIGHT out. I am able to work on some of the chan si jin I was taught but I have had to adapt that to Yang style since I cannot hold the Chen stances at the moment.

Now I’m not whining or complaining and I am still doing some things like core training, some body weight stuff that does not need the knees and dieting (this lack of activity has NOT been good for the waist line at all, which is also not helping the knee) and using this time to research my arts and others that interest me as well as look at the parts of my training I can do in a different light and some of that has been pretty cool but I still may not be able to ever get back to the actual forms and SD of any of what I trained (beyond tree and wall hitting that is :EG: I can still stand still and hit stuff :D). But I am just sitting here thinking about life after MA/CMA and I am having some rather surprising thoughts, some I never EVER thought of or expected (and to be honest I doubt my thought processes on some of them – nothing bad just very different paths). I am however still hoping that the knee eventually gets better but so far this is the longest recovery time I have ever had, of course pushing 50 and having hurt that knee a few times before (not this bad but injured) I am sure is not helping.

But regardless this may be the end of the road for MA & SD for me and I am wondering what I am going to do without it and surprisingly I am not all that depressed about it I am actually somewhat intrigued.

So that was a long way to get to the question; What would you do is tomorrow you could no longer train MA and/or the SD of it?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is knee surgery an option? Would it allow you to continue training?

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would sit in my room and cry.

That is a serious answer. I waited a long time to do MA, and now that I have found kenpo it has become a huge part of my life. It keeps me focused on the positive at a time in my life when it would be very easy to slide into depression.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue you must have some option if you look deep enough. I only wish you the best.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Xue old buddy it aint the end...I messed up my knee in 07 and my back in 08...I still train just not as hardcore as in the days of old..When the pain starts I bow out and sit and watch the other, I'm the assistant instructor so nothing is said...Father Greek is helping me hone my observation skills in insure that the techniques are being done correctly..If that is any help to ya...

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If no martial arts... play video games and watch tv... couch potato here i come!

JK.

Well, there's much more to life than martial arts. In my opinion martial arts can only be a portion of what we do in life, if it takes up all our heart and time, then we'll miss out on other things that life has to offer, and other things that require our attention or responsibility. I'd try to live out a well rounded life if possible, trying and learning new things. Never too old to learn something new!

Since you're intrigued by what life is like without MA... that's great because the positive attitude to do something new is just the most helpful thing when we can't do what we are accustomed to. Hope you can find something meaningful for you.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Is knee surgery an option? Would it allow you to continue training?

Don't really know and I am not yet willing to go that route. I am going to give it another month and see what happens before I go talk to my Orthopedic doc.

Xue you must have some option if you look deep enough. I only wish you the best.

So far wait or as Cory mentioned, look into surgery. However my doc has never brought the idea of surgery up as of yet. But there are always other options&#8230;. you just have to find them.

Hey Xue old buddy it aint the end...I messed up my knee in 07 and my back in 08...I still train just not as hardcore as in the days of old..When the pain starts I bow out and sit and watch the other, I'm the assistant instructor so nothing is said...Father Greek is helping me hone my observation skills in insure that the techniques are being done correctly..If that is any help to ya...

Thanks Drac, and I know it is not the end, what surprises me more is my complete lack of depression about the idea of no more MA. The actual realization that this may be it, no more MA, hit me last night and it was not even that shocking a thought... although I will admit that it is shocking to me right now that it was not all that shocking :D

I also sent my sifu an e-mail about it today and I am waiting to see what he has to say.

Well, there's much more to life than martial arts. In my opinion martial arts can only be a portion of what we do in life, if it takes up all our heart and time, then we'll miss out on other things that life has to offer, and other things that require our attention or responsibility. I'd try to live out a well rounded life if possible, trying and learning new things. Never too old to learn something new!

Since you're intrigued by what life is like without MA... that's great because the positive attitude to do something new is just the most helpful thing when we can't do what we are accustomed to. Hope you can find something meaningful for you.

Thanks
Had not thought of this until I read your post but it could be the reason that it is not as depressing as I would have expected is that there is a whole lot more in my life. It would be missed, that's for sure, but as of this moment it is not something I am going to loose sleep over. That is shocking to me however since it has been a rather large part of my life for so long.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Xue,

I've got a friend, in his early 40s, been training martial arts since high school when he earned his shodan in tae kwon do. He spent a couple years doing aikido, and finally landed in capoeira for close to the last 20 years. That's where I know him from, training in capoeira.

Capoeira has a lot of stuff in it that can be bad for the knees in the long run. He wrecked his knee, had surgery, tried to go back to capoeira, and it ain't happening. I think he is realizing that his capoeira days are probably over.

Now he's studying White Crane with my little group under my sifu. Our footwork and stance work is much less extreme and much less dangerous than the capoeira. He's taking it slowly and methodically, and so far he feels like his knee is good with it, but he definitely needs to be careful.

Look around and find something new. You might need to shift to something completely different, and pay attention to what kind of stances it uses. You might be able to find something that works for you, even if it's modified or incomplete.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Coach. I have a friend who ruptured some disks and will never be able to do karate again, so now he helps coach a competition team. He inspires young karate players to do their best and takes pride in their (and his) accomplishments.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah--first I'd sit in my room and cry, like Jenny.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd start swimming again... And probably find another hobby. When I used to aggressive inline skate, I thought I would never stop. Work, injury, and school "got in the way." Which is another way of saying "my interest waned." I could have stuck with the skate scene with a broken head, fingers, mangled elbow, etc with a camera and documented it, coached the kids at the skatepark, and a number of scene-related activities.

But I didn't. I moved on and found something new... Like the MAs.

There's always something out there. You are not your job. You are not your favorite activity.

So have comfort in the fact you will always have something to do; and look fondly on your years in MA as something to be proud of.

With injury always looming ahead in MMA, I'm content with the fact that a particular training session could be my last... At least for a while. When I couldn't roll or spar on my broken rib, I focused all of that energy into other pursuits.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can empathize. I have had two knee surgeries and I still have pain and swelling from time to time. Many times I have to simply assist while someone else teaches. Teaching and assisting can be just a fun and you still keep the mind sharp.

One thing I do is before each class is take 4 (yes 4) Motrin and then again 4 right after class (4 to 6 hours from the first 4). This helps with the inflammation and the pain. Got this advice from an actual doctor. Give it a try. It will give some relief.

Other than that just do a little less. And when you feel pain do a lot less. But whatever you do you don't have to stop. You only have to do less.

Best of luck to you.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue one thing I forgot to mention is the possibilty of just toning done your training and get involved in training others to help your system to keep going with the same tradition you have been tought over the years. There is nothing like becoming an instructor and seeing your student become better people because of you.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Injuries, as you know are not uncommon to the martial arts. I have found that what I did 40 yrs ago was good then. Now that I am in my late 60S martial arts has taken a new turn. I have to pace myself, and know how much I can accomplish without festering old injuries. I know I am not telling you anything you don't already know, but if you are like me, I have to convince myself of this fact, every time I train. Slow and easy, because we are training smarter now, because of time in grade.
icon7.gif

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Consider Systema, seriously. It's all about relaxing the tension in body and mind, so it can be very gentle once you get the hang of it. When I first got started I had a lot of sciatica and arthritis, and it's completely gone after a year.

Best wishes to you, whatever you decide to do.

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You may be able to adapt certain arts to your mobility. Wing Chun even.

As i was reading your post i was already thinking of suggesting tai chi, then you mentioned it was not working out for you also due to discomfort in your supporting leg during your form.

I would say you could still practice this art by making your movements "smaller".
You could even keep a much more upright posture so as not to put pressure on supporting leg/knee.

Even if i was restricted to hand movements only i would not consider the journey nearing an end, perhaps it has just begun.

Good Luck Xue Sheng.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I went to a national martial arts tournament in Chicago once and saw a disabled man in a wheel chair practicing escrima. He was very good at it too.

I used to train with a man who had only one arm and both of his feet were replaced with metal pegs. And he was just as effective as anyone.

You may not be able to do everything, but surely you could do something. How about practicing how you would fight from a chair or on the ground if your knee gave out on you?

The path you've chosen doesn't have to end, it just might need a new direction.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd find new MA to train in. Not all of them are hard on the joints.

All of jodo is done standing up. and all of iaido can be done standing up.

There has to be something out there that fits your body, instead of your body fitting the MA.

G

Gary Crawford

Time for tough love. I think you are over reacting. You said it yourself,you haven't even been to see the Orthopedic dr yet. I have been there,tore up my right knee badly skateboarding. it took six months to get back to skateboarding on vert terrain,but I did it without surgery either. Go see the dr and just accept that this will take lots of time. You will make some adjustments and you will feel it for years to come,but you will overcome it. Maybe learn something from it. I'll be praying for strength for you!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Regarding your knee, I hope it's something that does heal... and if it doesn't, I hope you find a way to adjust.

Answering your question, if I could no longer train in MA, I'd find something that I could do to fill the void. Having a healthy, active hobby is important to me and I train in BJJ because it's incredibly fun. But there are other fun things to do. If my knee would no longer allow me to train BJJ, I'd try something else. Perhaps that would be another style of MA, although likely not.

That said, some pretty amazing things can be done, and I'm not sure what could be wrong with your knee that isn't fixable.

Latest Discussions