SKK form applications

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
SK101 was asking for a thread for the applications of the forms. So here you go. My only request is that we start with the kata's first. The pinans are modified shotokan forms and i have seen more variations in these forms over the years then i have in the kata's.

Kata one - first kick and punch - going on the offense, attacking person's knee then face as they bend over. (beginning of kata 2 is the defense for the beginning of kata one). so theres the first section.
In Peace,
Jesse
sk101, top of the thread page there is a tab that says new thread--- thats the one you want to push to start something.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Can we get a short video clip that shows the move we are discussing? Not necessarily the entire form, just the isolated piece...

"(beginning of kata 2 is the defense for the beginning of kata one). " I never noticed that! fun for class tonight!

-D

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
SK101 was asking for a thread for the applications of the forms. So here you go. My only request is that we start with the kata's first. The pinans are modified shotokan forms and i have seen more variations in these forms over the years then i have in the kata's.

Kata one - first kick and punch - going on the offense, attacking person's knee then face as they bend over. (beginning of kata 2 is the defense for the beginning of kata one). so theres the first section.
In Peace,
Jesse
sk101, top of the thread page there is a tab that says new thread--- thats the one you want to push to start something.
Interesting mine is just the opposite...inside l/knife hand block, left ball kick followed by right front punch then alternate to the other side...

OP
RevIV

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting mine is just the opposite...inside l/knife hand block, left ball kick followed by right front punch then alternate to the other side...

I have never seen it done with the block. On SGM Pesares old 60's circa dvd it shows the kick punch drill as just that a drill they did going up and down the dojo.
The next move turn CCW left foot forward cross block up downward hammer movement with left had, Right front punch chest area then step with Left foot CW to a horse stance at 10'oclock. Bunkai for me- Blocking overhand club or hammer strike, downward hammer is a strike to bladder or groin, as head buckles down strike face with right and when the left foot moves their is a sweep in there (which means when you step out with X block your left foot must be to the outside of opponents right leg.)
In Peace
Jesse
(the next section has more variations that i have seen throughout the different schools- i do the SGM Pesare Version)

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have never seen it done with the block. On SGM Pesares old 60's circa dvd it shows the kick punch drill as just that a drill they did going up and down the dojo.
The next move turn CCW left foot forward cross block up downward hammer movement with left had, Right front punch chest area then step with Left foot CW to a horse stance at 10'oclock. Bunkai for me- Blocking overhand club or hammer strike, downward hammer is a strike to bladder or groin, as head buckles down strike face with right and when the left foot moves their is a sweep in there (which means when you step out with X block your left foot must be to the outside of opponents right leg.)
In Peace
Jesse
(the next section has more variations that i have seen throughout the different schools- i do the SGM Pesare Version)
Vey close to mine Jesse..
on the turn we do the overhead crossblock, inverted hammer (originally taught to the groin later moved to the ribs) to the ribs, followed front punch to the stomach/lower dantien....

OP
RevIV

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Vey close to mine Jesse..
on the turn we do the overhead crossblock, inverted hammer (originally taught to the groin later moved to the ribs) to the ribs, followed front punch to the stomach/lower dantien....

I had the front punch to the stomach the entire time myself, then i cracked one of my workout partners to see where they went and their head was right in line to were my original stomach strike was.. side note -- when doing it as a seperate self defense technique i do more of an upward thrust punch to make his head pop back up for the final sweep.
Jesse

OP
RevIV

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can we get a short video clip that shows the move we are discussing? Not necessarily the entire form, just the isolated piece...

"(beginning of kata 2 is the defense for the beginning of kata one). " I never noticed that! fun for class tonight!

-D

it is a great line drill-- one person does the kick punch the entire length of the dojo while the other is doing the double blocks- at end of building, switch and the other drives the person back.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it is a great line drill-- one person does the kick punch the entire length of the dojo while the other is doing the double blocks- at end of building, switch and the other drives the person back.

Hey, I've done that drill ... LOL

Our starts off horse stance. Left front ball kick, step down to left foot forward fighting stance, right punch. Right front ball kick, step down to right foot forward fighting stance, left punch. All strikes right down the center.

... are these movements the same?

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Next position:
Pivot to 11:00 hands gathered in fist over fist Facing the 9:00 opponent...As he delivers a front kick we step outside the kick doing a crossblock (left hand closest to you) The right grabs the ankle (the left hand stays on the foot applying additional pressure), twist your upper body CW while sliding back drawing the opponent in off balance and turning their back to you, slide in and deliver Iron Butterfly to their spine. Turn on guard to the 12:00 position hands in the overhead cranes protecting position....

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Next position:
Pivot to 11:00 hands gathered in fist over fist Facing the 9:00 opponent...As he delivers a front kick we step outside the kick doing a crossblock (left hand closest to you) The right grabs the ankle (the left hand stays on the foot applying additional pressure), twist your upper body CW while sliding back drawing the opponent in off balance and turning their back to you, slide in and deliver Iron Butterfly to their spine. Turn on guard to the 12:00 position hands in the overhead cranes protecting position....

please please please video tape that!!!!!!

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Next sequence:
The oppenent attacks with a right/left punch...
Step forward with right foot meeting the attackers force disrupting their balance; double sword hand strikes: the L/hand hits the inside of the forearm the R/hand strikes the bicep tendons (I've seen this striking the tendons near the shoulder, I've also seen it hitting by the elbow...), The left hand does a cross palm blocking the opponents left punch...The R/hand does a spear poke to the carotid artery. Turn into a L/foot forward Cat satnce performing a R/hand cross palm block, Step forward (L/foot) driving L/palm to chin/jaw line, R/front ball kick to midsection....

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seems to me as if a whole section of the form was skipped.

After the original kick, punch, kick, punch ... my previous school turns into cat stance 1800d to face 0600 applying an overhead crossblock, then stepping out into left foot forward fighting stance and using #8 block followed by right front punch.

Then we turn to 1030 or 1100 ... might just be SKK in the West

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Seems to me as if a whole section of the form was skipped.

After the original kick, punch, kick, punch ... my previous school turns into cat stance 1800d to face 0600 applying an overhead crossblock, then stepping out into left foot forward fighting stance and using #8 block followed by right front punch.

Then we turn to 1030 or 1100 ... might just be SKK in the West
No we covered that....you apparently do the same thing or close enough...To recap...
Starting at 12:00 defend attacker with Kick/punch Kick/punch, turn overhead Xblock inverted hammer/front punch...turn to th 45 angle Block the 9:00 attackers kick absorb his strike hit him and turn to the next attacker 12:00...the last post dealt with him/her.....

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No we covered that....you apparently do the same thing or close enough...To recap...
Starting at 12:00 defend attacker with Kick/punch Kick/punch, turn overhead Xblock inverted hammer/front punch...turn to th 45 angle Block the 9:00 attackers kick absorb his strike hit him and turn to the next attacker 12:00...the last post dealt with him/her.....

Ahhh ... missed it ... my bad

Not the first time, won't be the last.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ahhh ... missed it ... my bad

Not the first time, won't be the last.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Been there myself at the same bar...buying rounds......think we all have no biggie....

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Last sequence;
Pivot on the R/foot towards the 12:00 position block an incoming R/hand attack; #2 block w/snapping backpunch to the face ( I target the cheekbone ridge under their right eye). Draw up Fist over Fist L/side; Double Dragon strike to the right, draw up on the right FoF on the right and Double Dragon strike to the left...Xblock and end the form......

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was hoping some of you might chime in with some of your applications of the SKK forms. Here is some applications that I view in 1 kata. I left out all of the small intricacies within the transitions from one sequence to the next, but hit the main bullet points. Again this in no way says that this is the only or the right applictions, just my interpretation.

Applications
1 Kata​
Sequence 1: Left front kick right reverse punch (repeated opposite side)
Draw offline by chambering kick, then using quarter beat timing kick to the groin and as the head comes forward catch him with the punch.
Sequence 2: Cross block upward, left low block, right reverse punch
Attack is over head club followed by right front kick.
Cross block upward to elbow immediately followed (no chamber) by left low block to parry kick and while attackers foot is still in the air deliver right punch on a downward 45 angle to body (bladder or groin) causing attacker to loose balance.
Sequence 3: Cross block downward, grab, lift, and throw
Attack from the left, low front kick
Cross block strikes ankle of attacker then grabs. Pull attacker forward as you bring feet together then drive them back off balance with the step back to horse.
Sequence 4: Circle hands counter clockwise coming to rest with left hand forming knife hand at face level and right arm over head in upward block position with open hand palm facing out
Attack is double wrist grab
Grab is made, circle hands counter clockwise bringing left hand under attackers left arm at triceps area (making contact about the 2 0’clock mark). Continuing the motion and pressing left knife hand against attackers elbow releasing hands.
Sequence 5: Double knife blocks, open cup and saucer (hidden hands) right spear poke
Attack is side club (roundhouse punch)
Left knife is to wrist / fore arm and right is to bicep. Exaggerate the motion of the left hand coming to open hand cup and saucer so that you execute a left finger strike in a slicing motion (cordisans fan). Right spear to throat.
Sequence 6: Right Dropping palm, left palm heel, right front kick
Attack from the rear grabbing the shoulder.
Turning 180 deg and drawing into left cat knock attackers hand away with right dropping palm. Follow up with left palm to the face and right front kick.
Sequence 7: Simultaneous back fist side kick (repeated on either side)
Wrist grab from the side
Drawing into cup and saucer releases the wrist grab and chambers back fist. Side kick buckles the knee and as the head comes forward strike the temple with the back fist.

I look forward to hearing different views.

JT

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sequence 2: step into the opponents center and drive cross"blocks" (they serve as a cover) upward into the throat (great if you have a wall behind them or are on the ground), then follow up strikes. or block an arm the rt hand controls around the wrist or foearm and the lt downward block /strike becomes a force that coupled with the action of the rt hand creates an arm bar...there needs to be an adjustment of the waist to help this arction.

marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sequence 3: the big dramatic horse stance is unnecessary, the prinicple to the drop your wieght. kick or punch or grab it does not matter left dropping hammer or knife with a close rt guard then trap and "pull" to the right and mid level as the left leg sweeps the opponents leg, kick or stomp to finish, the hand changes give a good wrist lock that can easily lock out the opponents shoulder.
just some thoughts and variatins i have tersted out from one kata
respectfully,
marlon.
nice thread.