Sitting my 1st degree blackbelt(ITF) in three weeks.

TKD Scotland

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Any advice for this? I'm very nervous. Not for the content so to speak, but the sheer length of it. It's a four hour seminar(8-12) followed by a four hour grading(1-5) and although I'm in the best physical shape I've ever been in I'm not sure if I can last all day. Also I'm nervous for the sparring as it's my weakest area and we need to do full contact 1 on 2 sparring against 3rd degree blackbelts.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To begin with - you definitely have the right attitude toward your testing. You're nervous - and that means you're taking it seriously, which you should do.

Everyone makes mistakes - and you will too. How you respond to your mistakes will be as important as anything else. Take them in stride.

Bring water and/or sports drinks, and something to eat that is quick, not messy, and highly digestible - energy bars are good, as are fresh fruit (already chopped/peeled/etc.), granola bars, or anything you would take hiking that requires no preparation. If you don't get to grab a snack during testing (likely) you'll need it when you're done.

The people who will be testing you have seen other students your rank test, and it's highly unlikely you will surprise them. Do you best to demonstrate that you already are a black belt. Passing such a test is by no means guaranteed - but no good instructor will allow you test if you aren't capable of passing. You're going to have to work - and work hard - for your belt, but you have the potential, or you wouldn't be put on the floor to test.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stay away from any cafeen or energy drinks. liquid nutrition like ensure or similar would be good the last thing you need is gas. Testing is about seeing how you perform under duress its the closest thing you will get to next to being on the street.

If you choke due to stress don't impact it by showing on your face or self judging give no indication of anything but total confidence. So what if you possibly do different block or something else if its good its ok. Attitude should count for 20% of your scoring.

If you have truly trained hard you should be enjoying this the oportunity to shine so to speak. Remember if you are going to have partners or other people involved there is not telling what they may do so adapt don't just strike at air becasue they moved wrong hit another target and show from your eyes, expression and technique you have control but a deffinent idea of defending and inflicting the damage if you had to.

Concetrate on only doing your best which there can never be any shame in that if you did your best in training. Testing is learning when your done you will know what you want to do next time.

Have fun savor it.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any advice for this? I'm very nervous. Not for the content so to speak, but the sheer length of it. It's a four hour seminar(8-12) followed by a four hour grading(1-5) and although I'm in the best physical shape I've ever been in I'm not sure if I can last all day. Also I'm nervous for the sparring as it's my weakest area and we need to do full contact 1 on 2 sparring against 3rd degree blackbelts.

You'd be amazed at what the human body can endure. I am sure it will be ok. Good luck with your test.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck mate, give it your best. I can relate to the nerves because I get very nervous before gradings, my advice is just practice, practice then practice again, that way when the nerves kick in muscle memory can take over.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Good luck to you!. Remember you would not have been asked to test if they felt that you were not ready. Yes as others have said you will make mistakes, the testing board knows this and wants to how you handle yourself when it happens. Eat well, hydrate well. Preform each technique as if it was the first one and the last one that you do that day. The most important thing is to have fun. I have seen people get SO nervous that they actually sabotage themselves.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Forget luck let the natural talent come out and play and eveything will be fine....

Dragons TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If your instructor said you're ready to test, you're ready to test. That basically means you have already passed. The testing process is just formality at this point. You would have to try and fail to actually fail. You know all the required techniques, all the forms and any memory work needed.

If you think of it this way, it may make you less nervous.

ajury

White Belt
Reaction score
Trust your instructor, it is one of the hardest things I have ever done. But I knew my instructor would not recommend me if I could not do it. Stay in shape, train easy the last week or so before the test so you dont injure yourself (a friend told me he hurt his knee a week before his 1st dan and had to wait a year before retesting).

Remember your instructor will not recommend you if you cant do it besides making him look bad, he wants what is best for you.

Hold your head up and do your best!

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Trust in your teachers, trust in your training, do your best, and you won't hear this often, but enjoy your testing and learn from it. do these things and no matter the outcome of the testing, it will be successful and you'll have something to build on.

OP
T

TKD Scotland

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It was today and I passed. Apparently the instruictors were delighted with my attitude.