Silat Kuntau Tekpi

medic

White Belt
Reaction score
I have had some instruction in this art form with Cikgu Muda Thom Barnett. It is a very interesting martial art with a different way of learning from what I was previously used to. I am hoping in the next year or two to actually make it to Texas to train with Guro Hakim. If given the chance it is worth experiencing.

Shaun

doc D

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have had training experiences with Cikgu Omar in both Seni Silat Kuntau Tekpi and Pekiti Tersia Kali. He is a wonderful person to train with. I find him to be very analytical but not exhaustively so. He has excellent communication skills and is a true pleasure to train with. He's also a real gentlemen and an all round nice person.

Silat Kunatu Tekpi is really a very neat art. I have really enjoyed my study of it. The training approach is a bit different from my other silat methods and martial arts. I would say that, if you are a busy person with established martial arts skills, who is really wanting to add a silat method to your pool of skills, this art might be worth serious consideration. The syllabus, comprised of 50 teaching modules, is very well defined and focused. Of course, it's fine for the beginner as well. When you start , you know what your start point and end point will be regarding getting the core essentials, as they are outlined for the curriculum here in the USA. Personally , I think it keeps you from feeling like you have bitten off more than you can chew. The syllabus is designed to minimize redundancy but still give all the essential skills, tools and concepts that you'll need beyond the core program. If you already have a plate that's pretty full , this method has a nice, compact curriculum that might make this method much easier to learn compared to some other types of silat.
The buah are built around very small set of specific, smooth and economical entries that translate directly to weapon application , particularly the tekpi (Cabong). These entries are initially performed as responses to attacks launced on you as you stand erect in a position without offering a defensive guard. This essentially builds your ability to develop timing and defensive skills from a position that is similar to what one might find him or herself in , if an attacker just "launched " an attack without warning.The basic buah build skills and use of tools that place the opponent in some particularly nasty and painful "locks". These sometimes can not be safely carried through to their endpoints with your training partner , so the movement form, the Pelebat, allows the student to practice moving to the endpoints and builds familiarity with the complete route of motion. Initial training pays particular attention to some clever drills that develop sensitivity and timing with regard to an opponent's attacks. These insure that the student will not over-react to a threat, get himself over extended or miss the opportunity to exploit the opponent's positioning as he attacks. Some of the entries seem a bit more direct than some found in a few of the silat methods I've worked in. This method , coming out of the Kedah region, was formulated to deal with arts like Muay Thai , etc. As you advance through the syllabus you are introduced to the Buah Pukulan that focus more on striking and you are introduced to some basic manipulations of the tekpi. As you advance through the system you will come to understand how the tekpi can come be used to grapple , lock, etc although in the core syllabus of 50 modules,that is not the primary focus.

It's a pretty neat method of silat and a lot of fun to learn. I have enjoyed it considerably. I'd encourage any who has an interest to explore the www.tekpi.org website and see if there is an instructor somewhere in his or her region or communicate directly wit Cikgu Omar.

With Respect
Doc D

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice post Doc D.
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions