SILAMBAD Indian Weapons System

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
hi

has any one heard or practice this Indian system. It is an art which can be classified in to 4 separate classifications of its weaponry

Yantra Mukta: Projectile weapons that can be launched by machine.

PANINMUKTA: weapons thrown by man

MUKTASANCARITA: WEAPONS THAT CAN BE BROUGHT BACK AFTER throwing them at a target

AMUKTA: Weapons that are firmly used while firmly holding them.

As with other martial arts there are also many different styles of SILAMBAM.

weapons that are used include the SURUL. Kambu (staff) PODI KUCHU two short rattan sticks (two and a half feet long) Madai deer horns.

The main targets of the art include the hands and the wrist, the eyes and then the groin.

as with other martial arts in particularly Eskrima, Silambad masters are known for their Duels and infact they hmake a living by wondering the country teaching there art and also bodyguarding.

this seems to be an excellent martial art.....

teery

G

gravity

Silambam is related to Kalaripayutt, perhaps the oldest MA (one of the ultimate arts in my opinion). Kalaripayutt uses weapons extensively. Silambam is essentially a staff fighting art. Like all Indian MA it is not commercial and not only will you be hard pressed to find good quality instructors but it will also be difficult to become their student......essentially its an old school MA and usually you have to be Indian to be accepted.

Check out

http://www.geocities.com/internationalsilambam/
http://membres.lycos.fr/silambam/ (includes Videos)

"SILAMBAM is the Tamil's name for describing a very traditional stick fighting system. It is known in the whole south India under this name, but historically originated fom Kerala"

G

gravity

Originally posted by moromoro

Do you know if the Surul (spring sword) is also used in other indian systems or is this weapon only found in Silambam and kelaripayutt

The spring sword is considered the traditional weapon of Kalaripayutt, the student only learns it after he has mastered all the other weapons (I think there are about 10 or 12 in modern training). The expertise required to handle such a weapon is immense (the spring sword has 2 bladed strips with one handle). The spring sword was used as a belt by the Indian warriors and is double bladed, it was used to cut of head(s) (used particularly in mass attacks).

The Indian MA is highly facinating, back in the day Kalaripayutters tied strings to their feet with a blade and could cut off a man's head with it from a distance. Kalaripayutt has influenced many MA including those outside of India. I'm not sure if other arts use the spring sword but it is considered the ultimate weapon in kalaripayutt. The tradition of the art is the Gurukkal passes on the spring sword to his son or disciple....its a very special weapon and a privilege to learn.

OP
M

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
Yes i have heard that the surul is capable of decapitating an opponent with a single stike. are both edges very sharp... i mean are they sharpened.... also i have seen demos on video where two masters are sparring both with Suruls and shield are the suruls used real ones or are they blunt training suruls???

G

gravity

The spring sword when not in use coils up in a circular fashion. Traditionally warriors were not allowed to carry their weapons/ swords in the castle so the spring sword was used as a belt.

G

gravity

i have seen demos on video where two masters are sparring both with Suruls and shield are the suruls used real ones or are they blunt training suruls???

I suppose it depends on the kalaripayatters perfoming the demo if they use blunt or sharpen spring swords. However because the blade on the spring sword is so thin I'm not sure how 'blunt' it can become. I've got a Kalaripayatt documentary that shows a master using the spring sword and he was swinging the weapon and hitting the floor with it and sparks keep coming out from the weapon.....must have been pretty sharp! Also because it takes a student maybe 10 years to use the spring sword....by then the expertise they have in the art may mean they don't have to use blunt weapons.

G

gravity

where did you get that documentary from.

i have seen a few on national geographic, the one i would like to see again was a 5- 10 min documentary and it showed an old master using the SURUL.......

I recorded a documentary shown on Discovery Channel when I was living in Singapore. Michelle Yeoh was the presenter and discovery channel did a 1 hour series on Muay Thai, Kung Fu, TKD, Bruce Lee & Kalaripayatt.

The Kalaripayatt docoumentary showed both Nothern & Southern styles of the art as well as healing aspect (big part of Kalaripayatt) and Katakali (Indian opera - in the old days the warriors when they were not fighting used to perform).

Latest Discussions