Sign Papers????

K

kenshinhemora

I am a purple belt in real life in TKD and I was wondering after u get to 4th Degree in Black belt do you have to sign paper saying your hands are "weapons"? I was just wondering becuase one ofm y friends said that and I didn't know if it was true

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sigh.

no.

You do not have to "register yourself as a lethal weapon" or any other such drivel.

OP
D

Disco

The only papers you could sign is that your wallet is now empty.... :uhyeah:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenshinhemora said:
I am a purple belt in real life in TKD and I was wondering after u get to 4th Degree in Black belt do you have to sign paper saying your hands are "weapons"? I was just wondering becuase one ofm y friends said that and I didn't know if it was true
This as a very State specific topic. California had a similar policy to what you describe(I don't know what they do now), but WA state doesn't differentiate between Martial artists and HS wrestlers, football players, ect.
Sean

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From UrbanLegend.com

Debunked: Boxers are required to register their hands as "lethal weapons."

Research has failed to reveal any statutory, regulatory or other requirement that boxers -- or anyone skilled in martial arts -- "register" their hands or any other body part as "lethal weapons" in the U.S., UKoGBaNI, Canada, or any other common law nation. However, a criminal defendant's experience in boxing, karate, or other forms of hand-to-hand combat may be relevant to determining various legal issues.

First, in the United States at least, the question of whether hands (or other body parts) of a boxer, martial artist or any other person even qualifies as a "deadly" or "lethal" weapon depends largely upon how "deadly weapon," "lethal weapon," or "deadly force" is defined (usually by statute, which is then interpreted by the courts). _See,_ _e.g.,_ Vitauts M. Gulbis, "Parts of the Human Body, Other Than Feet, as Deadly or Dangerous Weapons for Purposes of Statutes Aggravating Offenses Such as Assault and Robbery," 8 A.L.R.4th 1268 (1981 and supplements); Christpher Vaeth, "Kicking as Aggravated Assault, or Assault With Dangerous or Deadly Weapon," 19 A.L.R.5th 823 (1995 and supplements). Most statutes have been interpreted to require an object external to the human body before a "deadly weapon" element can be met. For example, in _Minnesota v. Bastin_, 572 N.W.2d 281 (Minn. 1997), the Minnesota Supreme Court overruled the trial court's conclusion that the left fist of the defendant, a former licensed professional prize fighter, was a "deadly weapon."

Some courts in the United States have concluded, however, that a criminal defendant's experience in boxing or martial arts should be considered when deciding whether s/he possessed a required intent to cause harm. For instance, in _Trujillo v. State_, 750 P.2d 1334 (Wyo. 1988), the Wyoming Supreme Court found that there was sufficient evidence to support the defendant's conviction for aggravated assault after he punched someone in the head. His history as a trained boxer was one bit of evidence supporting the jury's findings on his mental state. Likewise, in _In the Matter of the Welfare of D.S.F._, 416 N.W.2d 772 (Minn. App. 1988), the Minnesota Court of Appeals held that there was sufficient evidence to conclude that the actions of the defendant, who had "substantial experience in karate," were sufficient to demonstrate his knowledge that he was hitting the victim with sufficient force to break the victim's jaw.

Similarly, a criminal defendant's boxing or martial arts experience may be relevant to determining the validity of a self-defense claim. For instance, in _Idaho v. Babbit_, 120 Idaho 337, 815 P.2d 1077 (Idaho App. 1991), the defendant shot the victim and claimed self-defense. The trial court admitted evidence regarding the defendant's past training and experience as a boxer, concluding that it was relevant to a determination of whether the defendant truly believed it was necessary to shoot the victim in order to protect himself and others. The Idaho Court of Appeals affirmed.

Documented: A criminal defendant's experience in boxing or the martial arts may be relevant to deciding whether the elements of a criminal offense have been proven.

OP
S

Spud

Well that does it. I'm quitting my training tonight. If I can't tell my friends my hands are registered as lethal weapons in 28 states, why bother.

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
kenshinhemora said:

Ha ha ha ha. Yeah, and I can kill someone by shoving the bone in their nose through their brain with a palm strike.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo_cory said:
Ha ha ha ha. Yeah, and I can kill someone by shoving the bone in their nose through their brain with a palm strike.

You Can? :idunno: I have never been able to accomplish this on myself ;)

Seriously, though I want to thank Nightingale for the research.
:asian:

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
You Can? :idunno: I have never been able to accomplish this on myself ;)

Seriously, though I want to thank Nightingale for the research.
:asian:
I would like to second the "hooray for nightengale!'. I actually stopped trying to explain this to people at parties, and just took to elaborating ad-infinitum about how thick the paperwork really was, and that the registeration process took place at the Department of Motor Vehicles, making the whole thing about waiting in line a necessary nightmare...etc. I figger'd, if they were going to be gull-a-bull enough to stand there and listen with their maws dropped open, they deserved every little bit of passive-aggressive hostility I could pack into the paragraphs.

I'm going to copy and paste that bit-o-data (with appropriate source referral, of course) to Word, so I can hand it to Das Masses when the issue comes up.

Regards,

Dave

OP
C

c2kenpo

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
I would like to second the "hooray for nightengale!'. I actually stopped trying to explain this to people at parties, and just took to elaborating ad-infinitum about how thick the paperwork really was, and that the registeration process took place at the Department of Motor Vehicles, making the whole thing about waiting in line a necessary nightmare...etc. I figger'd, if they were going to be gull-a-bull enough to stand there and listen with their maws dropped open, they deserved every little bit of passive-aggressive hostility I could pack into the paragraphs.

I'm going to copy and paste that bit-o-data (with appropriate source referral, of course) to Word, so I can hand it to Das Masses when the issue comes up.

Regards,

Dave

I thought I was the only one who did this!!!!! Only problem was that it detracted from possible students. :uhyeah:

Thanks NightingGale...had it but you posted first!!