Sidelined - Update

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, it's official, the doctor told me not to do TKD any more and take it easy. They have no idea what is causing my high blood pressure but my heart has been strained by it and for the foreseeable future I am not allowed to strain myself too much.

Ironically enough one of the drugs I have to take is an ACE inhibitor. When I did pharmaceutical research back in the 90's one of the drugs I worked on was an ACE inhibitor. I guess things can come full circle in unexpected ways.

Although I cannot do the classes any more I can still do the forms and step sparring in the basement a few times a week which is what I intend to do. I am also going to be looking online for SD moves like the one I found for Combat Hapkido where you can disarm someone with one fluid move.

I am also going to be practising combinations in the basement but at a very slow pace (with the odd quickish burst). That way I can study how things are moving and what limbs are available for striking at any given moment.

There is so much more to TKD than competitions and sparring that only a small section of the art has been denied to me. I still have lots of things to learn and explore. I will never reach black belt but I will be the most knowledgeable green belt on the planet :D

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you will have backoff your training. Take it easy and get healthy. Hopefully when they get the BP problem under control, they will let you go back to normal training.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a lot you can do about high blood pressure - some folks respond better than others. Diet has a LOT to do with it - but don't listen to Bob Hubbard. He puts so much salt on his tomatoes the sea is jealous.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Best of luck, good sir. Blood pressure is a wildly variable thing that can respond to treatment in unexpected ways.

I think your attitude with your art is the right one i.e. only certain segments are unwise for you to engage in. The rest of the art is there for you to enjoy and explore.

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
yeah. u learn martial arts part for self-defence. if u lose ur life while learning then it defeats the initial purpose. take it slow and steady.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hang in there and take care of yourself. Keep us up to date of what you learn from your exploration of poomse. :)

Peace,
Erik

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just another idea...

Maybe it's time to try Tai Chi or Xingyi or another internal art with less direct physical stress?

OP
igillman

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Technically I am doing that with the forms and my "sparring" time (against a heavy bag). I am doing the forms slowly and I am also sparring slowly too. You would be amazed what you find out about sparring when you practice at Tai Chi speeds, all sorts of possible combination moves show up.

I am looking into some of the techniques used by the slower arts to add to my practice. I am also looking into more self defence techniques.

I do not know if I will go for formal training in any other arts, maybe just cruise the internet, try things out and see what works best for me.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Technically I am doing that with the forms and my "sparring" time (against a heavy bag). I am doing the forms slowly and I am also sparring slowly too. You would be amazed what you find out about sparring when you practice at Tai Chi speeds, all sorts of possible combination moves show up.

I am looking into some of the techniques used by the slower arts to add to my practice. I am also looking into more self defence techniques.

I do not know if I will go for formal training in any other arts, maybe just cruise the internet, try things out and see what works best for me.
Practicing techniques from your own martial art slowly is not the same as practicing tai chi, any more than a series of stretches down in order is the same as yoga. Again, I'd encourage you to perhaps investigate the internal arts. They aren't as quick as TKD -- but they can be practiced as "real" arts. At one point, it was a common transition to move from the external to internal systems as one aged...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, it's official, the doctor told me not to do TKD any more and take it easy. They have no idea what is causing my high blood pressure but my heart has been strained by it and for the foreseeable future I am not allowed to strain myself too much.

Ironically enough one of the drugs I have to take is an ACE inhibitor. When I did pharmaceutical research back in the 90's one of the drugs I worked on was an ACE inhibitor. I guess things can come full circle in unexpected ways.

Although I cannot do the classes any more I can still do the forms and step sparring in the basement a few times a week which is what I intend to do. I am also going to be looking online for SD moves like the one I found for Combat Hapkido where you can disarm someone with one fluid move.

I am also going to be practising combinations in the basement but at a very slow pace (with the odd quickish burst). That way I can study how things are moving and what limbs are available for striking at any given moment.

There is so much more to TKD than competitions and sparring that only a small section of the art has been denied to me. I still have lots of things to learn and explore. I will never reach black belt but I will be the most knowledgeable green belt on the planet :D

I'm sorry to hear that. Allow the drugs & your doctor's advice to be your guide to lower your BP. You're in my prayers in your recovery.

OP
igillman

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Right now they have told me to do lots of walking. I have another meeting with the cardiologist in about a week, he will probably suggest some more things then.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jusr remember to do the best that you can and listen to the doctor, best of luck in the future.

Latest Discussions