shoulder-relaxation

K

krys

Hello to all,

I am new to this forum. I practice fmas and WC.

I just wonder what exercises you practice to relax your shoulders. Shoulders can get quite tense after a heavy session of chain punches.....

Thanks,

Christian.

OP
J

Jill666

I go about this two ways-

I warm up my shoulders thoroughly before any training. I used to skip this, and learned the hard way. Rotating arms parallel from the ground, forward and backward; Crossing the arms in front of the body, swinging gently back and forth; Stretching the arm across the torso as far as comfortable, and using the opposite hand placed against the upper arm; "Swimming" my arms backwards and forwards with the forearms going over my head. Also the "Ichiro" ;-), in a deep horse with hands on knees, rolling each shoulder forward to stretch the whole upper body out. I like to hang from the hands on a bar for about 30 seconds, and also grip a pole and stretch that way. (Have no idea if it is valuable, but it feels good).

I also find rolling around is nice for the shoulders and back.

After I work out, I do the same stretches gently, just to cool down.

The other thing I do is muscle relaxation- I don't do this every day- more like twice a week, to be honest. But it helps a great deal for the whole body.

Once as an orange belt I did a heavy training on punches in class, then the next day went to the batting cages, then went candlepin bowling that evening. Ended up with bursitis in my right shoulder and couldn't lift a fork without pain for days. (The doc wanted to give me a cortisone shot then PT. I refused, and wore a sling for five days instead. I was cured.) Now I warm up religiously and have not had ANY more problems whatsoever in the past few years.

Remember to also loosen the whole body- especially the neck. If your shoulders feel tense I'm sure your neck does also-

Hope this helps. Welcome!

OP
K

krys

Thanks a lot for answering JIll666, i will follow your advices.

"Remember to also loosen the whole body- especially the neck. If your shoulders feel tense I'm sure your neck does also- "

You are quite right about the neck.
Curiously only a few of the guys I am practicing WC with
do any warming up. Everybody moves straight into the Taos....

I don't want to bother anybody and this might sound very stupid for more senior WC students but i have another question because I practice the forms around one hour a day (mostly Sil Lim Tao).

Is there any chance that I injure my knees practicing the horse stance that long?
Should some exercises be done before?

Thanks for answering,
Christian.

Latest Discussions