Short people are most prone to jealousy, say scientists

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From this link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080312/od_afp/sciencepsychologysexoffbeat

Wed Mar 12, 2:24 PM ET

PARIS (AFP) - Short people should pray for a return to the Seventies fashion of stack heels, for the power of jealousy depends on how tall you are, the British weekly New Scientist says.

Researchers at the University of Groningen in the Netherlands and University of Valencia in Spain asked 549 Dutch and Spanish men and women to rate how jealous they felt, and to list the qualities in a romantic competitor that were most likely to make them ill at ease.

Men generally felt most nervous about attractive, rich and strong rivals.

But these feelings were increasingly relaxed the taller they were themselves. The more vertically challenged the man, the greater his feelings of jealousy.
For women, what counted most in jealousy was the rival's looks and charm, but these feelings were less intense if the woman herself was of average height.
This makes sense in evolutionary terms, says New Scientist, in next Saturday's issue.

Taller men are most successful with women, and women of medium height enjoy the best health, fertility and popularity with men.
On the other hand, a woman of average height could in certain circumstances fall afoul of the green-eyed monster if their rival were taller.
"Taller women are more dominant and have greater fighting abilities than shorter women," says the study, which appears in the journal Evolution and Human Behavior.

Thoughts?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm short and it does not bother me but then again I'm always fat and old.
Wait that makes me short fat and old, my life is over :rofl:

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not totally related, but my wife is very tall, and had a heck of a time dating guys, since everyone who asked her out was a munchkin! I'd perhaps be uncomfortable dating someone taller, but that would be unlikely...

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not totally related, but my wife is very tall, and had a heck of a time dating guys, since everyone who asked her out was a munchkin! I'd perhaps be uncomfortable dating someone taller, but that would be unlikely...

I am attracted to tall women. I like them even if they are taller than I am. Now, I also understand if thsoe that are taller do not feel comfortable around me and prefer a guy even taller than they are. BTW: I am 6'3" .

I have dated many women from 5'4" to 5'10" range and a few between 5'10" and 6'2". I noticed that upon reflection, the shorter they were the more comments I got like, "She was hitting on you!".

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not sure about this one.

My ex wife was (5') and very jealous and girl friend I had after that (1 year later) was taller (5'6") and very jealous and my wife is 5'3" (who I meant 2 years after breaking up with the girlfriend) is not jealous at all. But then there is a major cultural difference there too so who knows

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since jealousy is rooted in insecurity, and height is prized as a quality for men, it makes sense that jealousy and shortness would be correlated.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm 5' 10" so I don't worry about such things. I'm shorter than the average 6 foot American male, but hey so what?
Jealousy is nothing more than insecurity manifested. The more secure a person is about something the less likely they'll be jealous. That's been my experience anyway.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm 5' 10" so I don't worry about such things. I'm shorter than the average 6 foot American male, but hey so what?
Jealousy is nothing more than insecurity manifested. The more secure a person is about something the less likely they'll be jealous. That's been my experience anyway.

Besides a behemoth such as myself couldn't get into those caves like you under 6 foot types :D

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My husband is short. He is 5'5 and I am only half inch taller than him. He isn't jealous... or at least he learned not to be... considering I'm involved in male-dominated activities such as martial arts (lots of physical contact) and caving (proximity in confining spaces). Most of my close friends are male. I do make it a point to try to introduce him to people I associate so that he knows who the people are and to feel comfortable with me doing my chosen activities. I was already involved with martial arts long before I dated and married my husband so my association with males wasn't new to him.

- Ceicei

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought that 5'10 was average for an American male?

I think that any percieved "flaw" in a person will cause them to be insecure and therefore jealous. Whether it's height/weight or other physical characteristics, if you think you are lacking you are going to think that those with those traits are your competition to your mate.

Although, I have known MANY a person that had "Napoleon's disease" or more commonly called "short man syndrome" which is a short male that thinks he needs to make up for his height by trying to "prove himself" at any percieved slight against him.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Taller women have greater fighting abilities than shorter women? That's from scientists? I gotta read that study to find more about that (how the women trained, how they gauge "innate" fighting abilities and so on.

I'd also like to know the relative heights of the scientists and how they measure jealousy? They could be mis-interpreting the "shorter guys have to play meaner basketball" gene.

{PS, I might have a 5'8" body, but I have a 6'4" spirit}

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I take issue with calling women "shorty" in all these new rap songs. What if I want to date a 6 foot 10 swedish supermodel?
Sean

Latest Discussions