Shoes

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
A similar thread was started in the General MA section, but I thought I would revive it in the CMA forum section as well...

For those of you who train with shoes, what type of shoe works best for you and/or your art? Do you wear martial arts specific shoes (Discipline, Otomix, etc.), wrestling shoes or plain ole cross trainers?

Having recently started in CLF, I'm wearing a cross trainer as are many of the students in the class. They provide a bit more stability, allow for freedom of movement on the wood floor (won't stick on a pivot) and won't fall apart with all the bag work we do. How 'bout you?

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
yeti,

Shoes are problematic for me, at least as a taijiquan practitioner. Most trainers have a high back which poses problems when we do "Push Down/Snake Creeps Down) as the high back inhibits movement in the front ankle. Most MA shoes have narrow insteps whereas the ideal taiji shoe should have a broad instep. I have a pair of shoes that are falling to bits but it is so difficult to find a replacement. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
yeti,

Shoes are problematic for me, at least as a taijiquan practitioner. Most trainers have a high back which poses problems when we do "Push Down/Snake Creeps Down) as the high back inhibits movement in the front ankle. Most MA shoes have narrow insteps whereas the ideal taiji shoe should have a broad instep. I have a pair of shoes that are falling to bits but it is so difficult to find a replacement. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I found this on a website for a shoe store chain here in the US. I'm sure that if it looks good to you that you might find it in the UK.

049178_beauty.gif
049178_thumbsq.gif
049178_sole.gif

OP
Yeti

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
yeti,

East Winds, check out Discipline shoes. They make a shoe with good ankle support but that has a large cut-out on the back along your achilles so it won't restrict movement of the foot. That might help you. Their website is http://www.disciplinefootwear.com/

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wear shoes in class. At my other school I trained barefoot, but at my current school we all wear shoes. I really love the shoes I train in. They are comfortable, light, and durable. You can find them here. Below is a pic.

Attachments

• $kung fu shoes.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 176

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
East Winds, check out Discipline shoes. They make a shoe with good ankle support but that has a large cut-out on the back along your achilles so it won't restrict movement of the foot. That might help you. Their website is http://www.disciplinefootwear.com/

Discipline gets my vote, too. After two decades of teaching/crowd control, I now have flat feet (and always had such high arches!), so wear these with an extra insert.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate Discipline. They hurt my feet.

I wear Tiger Claw leather shoes
martialartsmart_1945_15063478

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/martialartsmart_1945_15063478

and I used to wear Feiyue. The only problem with Feiyue is when inside on hardwood they stick hard when new & then slide like socks when worn out. The ups for Feiyue is the price.

My sifu wears Adidas Kundo shoes which are listed on the Adidas website as indoor trainers.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a pair of Otomix shoes that are real comfortable..Most of the time I train in the Police boots that I wear when on duty..The Otomix shoes are always carried in case a school I'm visiting doesn't allow boots on the mat..

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
New balance

However if anyone can point me in the direction of a company that makes a good MA shoe that comes in size 14EEE I would be willing to give them a try.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
New balance

However if anyone can point me in the direction of a company that makes a good MA shoe that comes in size 14EEE I would be willing to give them a try.
I have the same problem with width, which is part of the reason I like Discipline so much--they don't specify width, but have plenty of mesh combined with leather so with a little patience, they conform well to my feet. They used to make very large sizes (15+, I think). You'd have to check on that, tho--it's a small co. These are all high tops, also, so don't know with your arts if that's what you want (do have a low back V notch). Very confortable, and plenty of support.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have the same problem with width, which is part of the reason I like Discipline so much--they don't specify width, but have plenty of mesh combined with leather so with a little patience, they conform well to my feet. They used to make very large sizes (15+, I think). You'd have to check on that, tho--it's a small co. These are all high tops, also, so don't know with your arts if that's what you want (do have a low back V notch). Very confortable, and plenty of support.

Thanks, actually I just sent them an e-mail about it and I am waiting for a response. As to what I train, Taiji, Xingyi, Sanda.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys (and girls), some of these look good and I will investigate to see if they might be available here in the UK. Failing that it might involve a long awaited trip to to the US.
icon10.gif

Very best wishes

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, actually I just sent them an e-mail about it and I am waiting for a response. As to what I train, Taiji, Xingyi, Sanda.

You're welcome! Hope it works out.

Finally checked out what Sanda is--awesome. Didn't realize it was San Shou (is that right?). The real deal. :asian:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sanda is Sanshou, sanda is just the older name. However there are 2 different versions, sports and police/military

The sport is Cung-Le famous, right? The police/military version I've seen articles about. Pretty hard core stuff. :ultracool