Shoes or no Shoes

ziason

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I hope this is a simple general question. I am looking at training in a new style, and I was told they do not wear shoes to train. This style is derived from an Okinawan style. I have trained previously in Chinese derived styles and always wore shoes. I'm just wondering if all Japanese/Okinawan styles are shoeless, or if this is just a randowm thing. I haven't been personally exposed to enough different styles to tell. Anyone have any info on this?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I've seen, most Japanese and Okinawan styles train in bare feet.

However, some schools will use shoes, simply because there might not be a choice otherwise. One particular school that I knew of, actually (a long time ago) did train in athletic shoes, since the floors were in decrepit condition, and that a cut / scrape on the foot would have meant a real risk for infection.

While it would have been nice for them to train in bare feet, they really had no choice, since they were, at the time, having financial difficulties, and couldn't get a new floor.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, Korean styles are also barefoot (Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do, Hapkido, etc).

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shoes are optional at our school. I prefer not to wear shoes because our mat is canvas. Traditional mat shoes don't do well on that surface. In addition, mat shoes do not have a wide enough sole to give my feet adequate support. There are those that don't seem to be bothered by them, though.

Latest Discussions