Sharpening for beginers

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I first got into knives many moons ago, I ended up ruining the finishes of some really nice knives sharpening them. The edges were OK after I took them to professional sharpeners, but they'll never look the same again. So I was thinking we might put some beginner sharpening resources here to help out anyone interested in doing it themselves.

I really found the "Professional Chefs Knife Kit" published by the C.I.A. (Culinary Institute of America) to be really helpful.

Jeff

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I first got into knives many moons ago, I ended up ruining the finishes of some really nice knives sharpening them. The edges were OK after I took them to professional sharpeners, but they'll never look the same again. So I was thinking we might put some beginner sharpening resources here to help out anyone interested in doing it themselves.

I really found the "Professional Chefs Knife Kit" published by the C.I.A. (Culinary Institute of America) to be really helpful.

Jeff

I know what you're talking about---I use a diamond pad for shaprening knives (along with a `scoop-side' steel for burrs), and can get them razor sharp, but if I'm not careful the finish takes a real beating---that magic 27 degree angle is very hard to maintain, even with a lot of practice.

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know what you're talking about---I use a diamond pad for shaprening knives (along with a `scoop-side' steel for burrs), and can get them razor sharp, but if I'm not careful the finish takes a real beating---that magic 27 degree angle is very hard to maintain, even with a lot of practice.
Also, that angle is gonna be different for different knives. I have some that demand a 17 degree angle, all the way up to 30.

Jeff

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For me I am going to stay away from sharpening most of my knives and let the professionals do it. Certain ones that I have like machetes, Kuhkiri knives I feel comfortable doing myself but when you get into more delicate blades forget about it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have ruined alot of blades trying to get it right now mine goes to the sharpener and he gets my money we both win that way.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, that angle is gonna be different for different knives. I have some that demand a 17 degree angle, all the way up to 30.
Jeff

Yeah, that's probably one reason why I've scratched some of my knives---angle would have been right for others but was too close for these... :( But maintaining the angle is also a problem, and it just takes one careless stroke to screw things up permanently.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of... My CRKT needs sharpening? So should I take it to a professional or do it myself?

For me I am always taking it to a professional!
icon10.gif

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally this that one should know how to put a basic edge on a knife, just in case. I think the lansky set up does a pretty good job for a kit. But I also think having a professional put a slick edge on a "working" knife is very inportant as well.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Jeff

Must be a rather keen edge, if you want a 17 degree angle. Don't straightrazors require a 15 degree angle?

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Must be a rather keen edge, if you want a 17 degree angle. Don't straightrazors require a 15 degree angle?
Yep, the one that use that angle is my Global 10" chef knife. Messermeister knives from Germany use the same angle.

Jeff

Latest Discussions