Sharing the art

J

JKD_Silat

A buddy of mine just moved to LA from the East Coast, and is "homeless" right now regarding a martial arts school to train in. He has a Wing Chun background, and black belt in Jui-Jitsu, and said in the past that he really wants to learn Jeet Kune Do. I of course suggested that he come visit where I train, The Magda Institute of Martail Arts.
Right after his trail class yesterday, I could see the excitement in his eyes, and that in turn made me happy that I was able to share this with him. His only concern was the validity of the training lineage. I explained to him that my teacher was Sifu Inosanto's assistant for the better part of five years. Right on cue, as he was leaving the training floor, Sifu Bob Bremmer, and Sifu Tim Tackett walk in the front door with my teacher, sifu Cass Magda!
They were gracious enough to chat briefly with some of us students who were lucky enough to be there at the time, before Sifu Cass politely kicked us out. All my buddy could talk about on the way home was how he was so excited to be back in training again! My buddy has been training for 19 years, but he was like a kid in his first class. I have to say, that enthusiasm is contageous! After a while , it can be easy to take for granted what we have at our disposal, and bringing a friend to class to share our art can easily reimind us how fortunate we are.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
JKD_Silat said:
A buddy of mine just moved to LA from the East Coast, and is "homeless" right now regarding a martial arts school to train in. He has a Wing Chun background, and black belt in Jui-Jitsu, and said in the past that he really wants to learn Jeet Kune Do. I of course suggested that he come visit where I train, The Magda Institute of Martail Arts.
Right after his trail class yesterday, I could see the excitement in his eyes, and that in turn made me happy that I was able to share this with him. His only concern was the validity of the training lineage. I explained to him that my teacher was Sifu Inosanto's assistant for the better part of five years. Right on cue, as he was leaving the training floor, Sifu Bob Bremmer, and Sifu Tim Tackett walk in the front door with my teacher, sifu Cass Magda!
They were gracious enough to chat briefly with some of us students who were lucky enough to be there at the time, before Sifu Cass politely kicked us out. All my buddy could talk about on the way home was how he was so excited to be back in training again! My buddy has been training for 19 years, but he was like a kid in his first class. I have to say, that enthusiasm is contageous! After a while , it can be easy to take for granted what we have at our disposal, and bringing a friend to class to share our art can easily reimind us how fortunate we are.
Fortunate you are.

Latest Discussions