Shaolin Schools in Los Angles?

AmericanTangSooDo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Recently one of my cousin's sons said he was interested in learning shaolin kung fu. They live in the city of Carson (Los Angeles county) and he found one in Sherman Oaks but that's a bit way too far for him. So I was wondering does anybody know if there are any schools in Carson or in any of the surrounding cities? Thanks.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Recently one of my cousin's sons said he was interested in learning shaolin kung fu. They live in the city of Carson (Los Angeles county) and he found one in Sherman Oaks but that's a bit way too far for him. So I was wondering does anybody know if there are any schools in Carson or in any of the surrounding cities? Thanks.

I dunno the area, but I'd make the drive to harmonious fist (www.harmoniousfist.com) from where ever in the LA area.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As a long time Shaolin practitoner myself, along with my ying jow, tai chi, etc. I can personally vouch for Kisu, his lineage, and harmonious fist. com. As a matter of fact, my wife, training brother, his students, and myself will be in LA late next month for Leung Shum's birthday party and anniversary, and we plan on having dinner with Kisu Friday night when we are there. Kisu's lineage is also impeccable, and I can highly recommend him, just as I can highly recommend John Cheng for 7 star preying mantis. Hope this helps by seconding the harmonious fist recommendation.

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you are interested in The Five Family Style, a traditional Southern Shaolin system from Ark Y. Wong - Choy, Li, Fut, Mok, Hung - we are in West Los Angeles. Our class has been here since 1973. We meet every Monday and Thursday night.

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
KFMan, I am glad to see people are continuing the lineage of Ark Wong, one of the true founders of CMA in this country who started teaching it around the same time to round eyes, LOL, as Bruce Lee, maybe before? I have alot of West Coast CMA friends who knew Grandmaster Wong. I am happy his tradition continues, with honor and respect!

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi Ninebird8,
Thank you for your kind words to our style. It's a great system and a lifetime journey. I've been at this for 30 years and I feel like I just started.

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi Ninebird8,
If you don't mind me asking, who are your WC friends who knew Master Wong? Maybe I know them.

Pancake85

White Belt
Reaction score
i know that Tom Wong teaches a rare Shaolin Kung Fu called Di Su (Ground Fighting Skills) in Los Angeles as well as Wing Chun. I have heard that he is a very good teacher and fighter himself

www.wingchunkungfu.org

Mider1985

Green Belt
Reaction score
To bad there is no YMAA in Los Angeles they arent monks or anything like that but they teach alot of good arts

Chin Na
Long Fist
White Crane

Latest Discussions