Shaolin Mantis clip

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of the most impressive mantis forms I've seen so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice clip! It's so different watching him 'settle' into a deep stance as compared to Karate, where one hits the horse stance and it's solid. It's a much more dyanamic view of the position!

OP
jdinca

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice clip! It's so different watching him 'settle' into a deep stance as compared to Karate, where one hits the horse stance and it's solid. It's a much more dyanamic view of the position!

Yeah, the stance work is very different. What blew me away more than anything was the Praying Mantis movement. I can do that to a small extent but I've never seen it done with that level of realism.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Watching him settle into those stances was amazing. It was like a coiling energy preparing to explode.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's wushu mantis put together by the guy who played the elder monk (forget his name) from the movie "Shaolin Temple" with Jet Li & the father from "Tai Chi Master 2".

Go Google video footage of Brendan Lai, Shr Zheng Zhong, Sun De Yao & others for straight up praying mantis.

Don't misunderstand me... that guy is good & has incredible athletic ability & is well trained, but mantis... not so much except for the hook hand.

OP
jdinca

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's wushu mantis put together by the guy who played the elder monk (forget his name) from the movie "Shaolin Temple" with Jet Li & the father from "Tai Chi Master 2".

Go Google video footage of Brendan Lai, Shr Zheng Zhong, Sun De Yao & others for straight up praying mantis.

Don't misunderstand me... that guy is good & has incredible athletic ability & is well trained, but mantis... not so much except for the hook hand.

His version of the mantis form was much more theatrical than others I've seen. Not nearly as bad as "Opera Monkey" though. :) His body control was impressive.

I will check out the other clips. I have seen Brendan Lai doing the two man version of Bung Bu. The one man set is one of the mantis forms taught at our school. Seeing the two man set was a kick.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
nice link! thanks. i also found interesting the shaolin hakka praying mantis.

j

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Cant take away the athletic ability and the expressive nature of the performance. I wouldnt doubt that he has decent ability to apply that to fighting.

Its not the older style for sure and the reference to Brendan Lai is a good idea for comparison.

Just give it another few decades and nobody will know anything other than the Modern Shaolin is Shaolin in truth.

Regards,

Rob

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

It was still very cool to watch! :D

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since we were talking about Brendan Lai I thought I would post a video of him doing a form to illustrate what I would consider proper 7 star mantis with understanding of the applications of the form. This is Meihua Quan or often called Mui Fa Kuen.

7sm

OP
jdinca

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Since we were talking about Brendan Lai I thought I would post a video of him doing a form to illustrate what I would consider proper 7 star mantis with understanding of the applications of the form. This is Meihua Quan or often called Mui Fa Kuen.

7sm

Great clip! A great job of blending mantis power with smooth, precise movement.

Latest Discussions