Sex Secrets of the Giant Squid

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now this is just a little strange. Still interesting though.

Victorian scientists are preparing to dissect a giant squid caught off the state's south-west coast last week, hoping to find out more about the enigmatic marine creature.
Early this morning staff from Museum Victoria collected a huge block of ice containing the creature, which is Australia's largest discovered giant squid.
The animal has three hearts and blue blood, boasts a donut-shaped brain that surrounds its oesophagus, is six metres long, and weighs 240 kilograms.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/06/03/2263456.htm

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
ST, your squid pr0n just isn't working. Got anything more graphic?

:p

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A doughnut shaped brain?? Everytime it loses a limb to a Sperm Whale it must say ... "D'OH!"

Group sex huh? I guess when their spouses call they say "Sorry Hunny, I'm all tied up!!" :rolleyes:

Three hearts make sense... down in depths where the pressure is simply extreme as you can get... you'd need something to manage pumping the blood through the body against all that pressure.

Blue blood. Yeah figgures... Harvard Law Grads have clingy multiple limbs (called legal assistants) as well. Explains the doughnut shaped brain too... they can only wrap their brains around one thing MONEY!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The doughnut shaped brain is only sorta kinda para the story. If I remember right it goes something like this...

The squids and octopodes (I'm not sure about cuttlefish) have a central brain or at least a central part of the brain that does a lot of the controlling, much of the sensory processing and pretty much all of the higher level stuff. Each arm or tentacle has its own smaller brain. Each of these is connected directly to the central brain and to the two adjacent arms or tentacles. The central brain makes general decisions about what to do and leaves the details about what each arm does to that brain's arm. The brain in the arm can carry out the task and can either communicated with the central brain or recruit the arms to which it is directly connected to complete the action.

It's very cool distributed processing stuff and all facilitated by the very efficient giant axons that cephalopod nervous systems have evolved.

Latest Discussions