Self Defense with a Cane

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:wavey:

And you can bring it on an airplane... :)

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been training with a cane for 7 years now, initially because I wanted a weapon that I could take through customs.

The cane has something of a learning curve -- the basics aren't complex, but the weight is sort of funny and takes a little getting used to. It's also sort of large, a little inconvenient to cart around, especially if you're carrying other luggage.

It has a lot of advantages: long range without sacrificing short range efficiency, striking and controlling options, the 'sucker punch' factor. Plus you can take 'em on airplanes.

The biggest advantage of the cane is the fact that it's non-escalatory. If you approach a situation with a knife or gun, baseball bat, even a kubaton in hand you're likely to escalate that situation just by being armed. You approach with a cane, people are socially programmed to be nicer to you.

Canes are great. My very, very favorite.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm contemplating studying them a bit... the thread I started a bit ago about Savate/Cane sparked my interest :) Looks like some decent techniques exist...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I carry my cane whenever I travel, no problems getting through the security screeners..

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I carry my cane whenever I travel, no problems getting through the security screeners..

I do the same and have never had a problem, I've never even been asked why I carry it.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've practiced using the cane for quite a while now and I would recommend these canes if you are interested.

http://www.canemasters.com/

There's alot of weird stuff that people have come up with when it comes to using a cane, but I've found that keeping it simple works best.

There are two major things that you can do with a cane that give it some martial applicability.

1. You can use it like a long stick to bludgeon and parry.
2. You can use the crook of the cane to trap and pull other weapons/things.

When sparring with the cane, I'll often start by using the bludgeon first and then I'll sneak the crook into the mix when my opponent least expects it. I've had more successful disarms with a cane then I have with any other weapon.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I own 3 CaneMaster canes..Well made...The dvd's are great too.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never practiced with one, but as others have said, its a great weapon that can be taken pretty much anywhere. :) Obviously longer than the typical Arnis/Kali stick, there are still a number of things, such as blocks, strikes, locks, etc., that can be applied with it. :)

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never practiced with one, but as others have said, its a great weapon that can be taken pretty much anywhere. :) Obviously longer than the typical Arnis/Kali stick, there are still a number of things, such as blocks, strikes, locks, etc., that can be applied with it. :)

Mike

Think "Billy Club with a Meat Hook"..

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been training with a cane for 7 years now, initially because I wanted a weapon that I could take through customs.

The cane has something of a learning curve -- the basics aren't complex, but the weight is sort of funny and takes a little getting used to. It's also sort of large, a little inconvenient to cart around, especially if you're carrying other luggage.

It has a lot of advantages: long range without sacrificing short range efficiency, striking and controlling options, the 'sucker punch' factor. Plus you can take 'em on airplanes.

The biggest advantage of the cane is the fact that it's non-escalatory. If you approach a situation with a knife or gun, baseball bat, even a kubaton in hand you're likely to escalate that situation just by being armed. You approach with a cane, people are socially programmed to be nicer to you.

Canes are great. My very, very favorite.

Couldn't have said it better. Not really much to add. Maybe just this.

I work in a special school with sometimes violent juveniles, who of course often attract violent outsiders after school. Being the only male there (small place), I'm in a unique position if anything threatens to go down. The cane is often the only thing standing between me and sometimes multiple, even warring factions. I'ts proved to be just enough of a factor among the madness to tip the scales in the favor of peace (no one wants to be the first one to meet Mr. Cane, and enough kids have seen me demonstrate that the word is out). And the best part: while I can't bring a Swiss Army knife to school, the cane is fine :cool: I recommend them for all teachers who work in rough schools (which is, ALL teachers? ;))

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We've practiced with them twice I believe in the last 6 months at our TKD school. It's always after one of the BB's goes to a Combat Hapkido seminar :D Definitely a stealth weapon.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've practiced with them twice I believe in the last 6 months at our TKD school. It's always after one of the BB's goes to a Combat Hapkido seminar :D Definitely a stealth weapon.

Because GM Shuey Sr it usually attends all the bigger Combat Hapkido seminars..

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both Mark Shuey's Cane Masters system and Dave McNeil's Goju Shorei Weapons system also allow you to earn black belts. Goju actually offers up to fifth degree. :ultracool

Latest Discussions