Self Defense Equipment for the Ladies in your lives...

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am directing this at the gentlemen of the forum, but ladies please feel free to chime in with your suggestions as well.

What, if anything, would you like to see the lady/ladies (could be daughters) carry as a personal self defense item. Pepper spray, knife (what kind and why) firearm, etc.

What have you personally bought for them?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've bought my wifes lots of toys...er, self defense stuff. Out of it she'll be carrying a small folder and pepper spray. She'll sometimes carry a 16" ASP baton as well.

Jeff

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife carrys a folding baton and pepper spray. I guess she does have her hands and feet as well.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would love to give my wife a Glock 17 or a 19 (I think it’s the 19 small 9mm) but I know she would for one never carry it. Two I don’t think she would be willing to pull the trigger anyway.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I knew a fella who told me his wife refused to handle guns... but they lived in a not so safe neighborhood (all they could afford) and were trying to get out. Sooo alternative... gave her a potato gun... short barrelled and lots of whollop! She liked that instead... he didn't tell her that it was loaded with a nail studded potato after loading it for her... all she has to do is prime it with hair spray and put the cap back on and whoomp.

Of course I told him that she would have to get the end off of the gun ... spray in the hair-spray, put the lid back on and aim the gun at the attacker in a matter of seconds. He said that she could do it behind their locked bedroom door if she managed to get to the door in the first place to lock it.

How fast is she is going to determine the outcome I think. But then scared outta their minds people have been known to do amazing things... and sometimes pretty stupid things too.

But basically a small gun that she could handle well and hit targets accurately with is fine with me... and isn't squemish about pulling the trigger. I have doubts about a knife unless she trained well on them.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Two I don’t think she would be willing to pull the trigger anyway.

Therein lies the problem, will they USE what they carry and will they carry it correctly..Pepper Spray, not a bad thing..DO NOT PUT IT ON YOUR KEY RING, keep it in your coat pocket or purse and transfer in to your non-dominant hand..That way if someone attacks your spray is not on the keys your are trying to open your car door with...

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Therein lies the problem, will they USE what they carry and will they carry it correctly..Pepper Spray, not a bad thing..DO NOT PUT IT ON YOUR KEY RING, keep it in your coat pocket or purse and transfer in to your non-dominant hand..That way if someone attacks your spray is not on the keys your are trying to open your car door with...

That is excellent advice Drac and something that everyone should remember.

The reason I asked this question is my husband out of the blue asked what I carried to protect myself. He wants me to get a knife as well, which really surprised me. He has never mentioned such a thing before.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lots!!! Probably should be in another thread though.

Jeff

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The reason I asked this question is my husband out of the blue asked what I carried to protect myself. He wants me to get a knife as well, which really surprised me. He has never mentioned such a thing before.

Knives bring up too many legal issues...I don't know how skilled you are? If someone grabbed you from behind would you be able to hurt them big time???

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Knives bring up too many legal issues...I don't know how skilled you are? If someone grabbed you from behind would you be able to hurt them big time???

Good question. I don't know, ya know? If the time came. My biggest fear is that fear would get the better of me. I have very limited SD training as I have never felt the need. So, I guess the answer would be, not very. Probaby best I don't carry one. :)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of the women I've talked with about personal protection have made it clear that they would probably be unable to stab someone, particularly in places where a stab would be especially effective, like the eyes; I know for a fact that my wife couldn't use such a weapon under almost any imaginable circumstances. But I had the impression after enough such discussions that a slashing weapon would be much easier for them to get themselves to use effectively. There are small plastic discs with retractable razor knies in them that would probably fit the bill for a weapon like that. And they avoid the great danger that people who pull out knives they're not 100% committed to using face---that they'll lose control of the knife and have it used against them.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Knives, hatpins, knitting needles, pen knives & xtra sharpened pencils 1st. Then pepper sprays, stun guns & 38 cal. revolver.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would love to give my wife a Glock 17 or a 19 (I think it’s the 19 small 9mm) but I know she would for one never carry it. Two I don’t think she would be willing to pull the trigger anyway.

Training really helps a lot with that...as long as she is open to learning. :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good question. I don't know, ya know? If the time came. My biggest fear is that fear would get the better of me. I have very limited SD training as I have never felt the need. So, I guess the answer would be, not very. Probaby best I don't carry one. :)

My biggest worry is that you( or any female) could have the knife taken away from and used against them..If you have the funds Tazer is making a stun device available to the public..I have not read anything concerning their effectiveness..

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa before you start to carry a knife make sure you get properly trained in all aspect including the law in your area.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My biggest worry is that you( or any female) could have the knife taken away from and used against them..If you have the funds Tazer is making a stun device available to the public..I have not read anything concerning their effectiveness..

That would be a worry to me as well no matter how much training I had. Guys are bigger then girls, it is a simple fact. My worry isn't weather I could use it or not, I am not squeamish that way. Tazers, knives and pretty much anything else are illegal for me to carry anyway, so I think I will stick to my keys, pencils, etc.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That would be a worry to me as well no matter how much training I had. Guys are bigger then girls, it is a simple fact. My worry isn't weather I could use it or not, I am not squeamish that way. Tazers, knives and pretty much anything else are illegal for me to carry anyway, so I think I will stick to my keys, pencils, etc.

A good kubaton maybe another choice

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I keep forgetting that the laws up there are different...I've taught others to walk to their vehicles with their keys held tightly in their hands and have the keys sticking out between their fingers..Being punched with those wuld leave a lasting impression...

Latest Discussions