Select a trainer by Lineage?

dan.h

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm very new to this and noticed there are 2 schools in my city for Wing Chun. One doesn't specify if he's of a certain lineage while the other one says that he is 3rd gen Walter Jakimczuk Lineage. One has a pretty informative website but takes forever to get back to me with any questions I have, while the other (lineage: Jakimczuk) responds immediately with answers but a not well maintained site.

Would you go with the sifu who has a set lineage or the other guy?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Lineage does not mean good or bad nor does the lack of it. Go check out the schools and see what you think. Check out some books on Wing Chun and see how the schools compare

In my area there use to be 2 Wing Chun Schools one smaller and harder to get a hold of the sifu and they have no website. But this sifu is a student of Ip Ching and this is a very good school for Wing Chun.

The other bigger and easier to get a hold of the sifu, has a website and he is in the Moy Yat lineage and I would not go there for free. Nothing against Moy Yat lineage I just don’t think it is a very good school based on the students and teacher.

Gurokevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I believe Xue Sheng has a point. Lineage does not matter much, and you can not really judge a school by a website or them replying to your email fast. Go there and check them out. Take a few classes from each of them and then decide.

Just a couple things to be considered when looking for a school.
1. Simple, direct, efficient style. No BS or endless sequences of techniques.
2. Don't go to a school that views Chi Sao (sticky hands) as sparring. Its a drill, not sparring. You need to do real sparring.
3. Clear and concise answers when you ask a question. Don't let them say something like "I will tell you that in a few years or so".
4. If they have a graduation every couple of weeks and you are supposed to attend & pay $50 every time to "move up", go somewhere else.

These are just a couple of things, I am sure you can think of some too, as well as maybe some other people on this forum can write some suggestions as well.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe Xue Sheng has a point. Lineage does not matter much, and you can not really judge a school by a website or them replying to your email fast. Go there and check them out. Take a few classes from each of them and then decide.

Just a couple things to be considered when looking for a school.
1. Simple, direct, efficient style. No BS or endless sequences of techniques.
2. Don't go to a school that views Chi Sao (sticky hands) as sparring. Its a drill, not sparring. You need to do real sparring.
3. Clear and concise answers when you ask a question. Don't let them say something like "I will tell you that in a few years or so".
4. If they have a graduation every couple of weeks and you are supposed to attend & pay $50 every time to "move up", go somewhere else.

These are just a couple of things, I am sure you can think of some too, as well as maybe some other people on this forum can write some suggestions as well.

Excllent advice! And, a good example of why you can't go by lineage alone. And certainly not by website! In my lineage..Wing Tsun... I learned old style, directly from the head guy. Then as the years passed, the system started becoming a lot more commercial, and guilty of a lot of what Gurokevin describes above. But my group did things the old way, --less commercially, that is. Until I got fed up and stopped teaching. But my point is, you gotta visit the school and judge the Si-fu for yourself.

Gurokevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You definitely can't go by lineage. ALL lineage's of Wing Chun (no matter how you spell it) are great and offer real value. Just some schools and teachers are not great.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
So many schools of Wing Tsun these days.I saw yet another variation of Wing Tsun on you tube.Yes,I remember the traditional methods,and I know what you mean about commercializing martial arts.Pretty sad everyone goes off and interprets,distorts,exploits an art that basically needs no repair.Right now I am learning the blitz method,a sort of shoot fighting style of Wing Tsun.Satisfied?
Don't know yet.If I were you,definitely research,research.Traditional or modified,effective or flash,compare.You can always change your mind later.I've seen blitzy, crummy,flashy,and total protractor (my favorite)
My two cents..........

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

Lineage is as important as how you make it.

Here is the thing.

In the end, it is you who puts the effort and time in. So what is most important is where YOU feel more comfortable learning and training. A good teacher can really accelerate your training and share great knowledge. Some are not as good a guide as others yet it is you who walks the road.

If the guide sucks and doesn't get you where you want to, you are free to get another one. If you find a good guide, latch on and enjoy the view while doing your work.

Yet note what is most important to you and remember that a good Si Fu will also choose his students.

I had to close down my commercial school for 2 reasons: I was starting my Master's Degree and didn't have the time to manage it and most importantly, I chose my students and didn't water down the level I wanted to teach... which realistically doesn't pay the bills unless you make a 2 tier system with students who learn a more palatable version...

and disciples who learn the realities of violence and how to deal with it with high level mental and physical skills.

Teaching both tiers is kind of time intensive, plus I told them the truth about it.

Both kinds of students are ok, yet never delude yourself by believing you are one that you are really not. Choose which one you want to be and train appropriately with a qualified teacher.

One of them is a hobby or fun exercise. The other becomes a long winded or lifelong pursuit. Again, both choices are ok. There are many things you can consider important in life, and training for the realities of violence might not be that high...

Interestingly enough, it is for me.

Hope that helps.

Juan M. Mercado

Gurokevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you profesormental.

You said that: "realistically doesn't pay the bills unless you make a 2 tier system with students who learn a more palatable version...and disciples who learn the realities of violence and how to deal with it with high level mental and physical skills."

This is not true. Maybe your opinion, but not true. I know a lot of people (Including myself) that own Highly profitable schools that do not teach a watered down "more palatable" version. Owning a highly profitable school has absolutely NOTHING to do with what you teach. It does have everything to do with your business systems (most important) and you as a teacher (also very important). But nothing to do with the style.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just a quick note about the 2 schools I used in my example

The one I did and would go to does not water anything down. The other I would not go to for free is just plain loony sometimes scary/loony and I have no idea if anything is watered down or not.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

Upon further consideration, I have to agree with you, Gurokevin.

I should have written that to pull in the maximum amount of students, a 2 tier system must be put in place. I am now being successful in teaching high level skills to the security and law enforcement industry. No watering down here.

My point is that some people (most, actually) DON'T want high level skills; they want just a fun hobby.

Both are good markets anyway, yet the key is effective targeted marketing to the students you want to attract.

Sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado

Latest Discussions