Seasonal Training

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed in other threads. I just didn't feel like browsing 12 pages of SD posts to search for it.

I am wondering who alters their Self-Defense training to change with the seasons. With winter upon us, we (and any would-be assailant) make many changes that may go un-accounted for in the dojo/gym/whatever you call it. I'm talking about bulkier clothing, heavier footwear (boots), gloves, hats, varied terrain (snow/ice), cold weather effects on respiratory capacity, greater concealment of weapons, etc.

Who takes these factors into account, and trains for the change of seasons? All info and responses are greatly appreciated.

Respects,

Frank

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey Frank, I agree. You must alter you training, especially if you live in an area where the weather changes significantly. I live in Northern Ohio and right now there is ice and snow everywhere! This causes you to take into consideration such issues as footing (snow and ice on the ground?), the amount of clothing someone is wearing (presure points in general are invalidated unless expossed), and also you must consider that if you are dressed for winter, your ability to move and react will be impaired by the clothing that you are wearing.

Pax
Cujo

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We adjust our training methods to address the change of seasons. We sort of stumbled into this by accident though. We train in my garage and its cold out there in the winter and like an oven in the summer. If you don't bundle up a bit when this time of year rolls around you'll freeze. The mats are cold and extremely hard right now too. I don't know if you've been on wrestling mats when they get really cold but when they get cold they get VERY slippery too.

In the summer we do a lot of no-gi training. We don't do it with the idea of going easy out there -it really doesn't make it any easier -it doesn't make it feel a bit cooler and you still can't hardly breathe. Now some people may disagree with this but I don't see the point in having them practice grabbing the sleeve and collar during a time of year when no one is wearing anything heavier than a t-shirt. But that's just me.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have a high-ceiling room at home so when we have to move indoors to practice it limits some of what we can do with the sticks. As for staves, that's right out!

T

TheBattousai

You should definitly train for weather changes, temprature and the seasons. I recommend doing various training all year around, you need to consider these things so that you can deal with them better. Like if you live some place cold, but travel to some place warmer, you will need to adapt for the climate change.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
TheBattousai said:
You should definitly train for weather changes, temprature and the seasons. I recommend doing various training all year around, you need to consider these things so that you can deal with them better. Like if you live some place cold, but travel to some place warmer, you will need to adapt for the climate change.

Yes, we do some training in different clothes and shoes or boots and at times in the rain. Here in Louisiana we even do some training in the winter with sleeves and long pants. Makes it a lot easier to hold onto the opponent's arm or leg. Most of the time it's hot and muggy and the opponent is slippery with sweat. Tuhon McGrath comes in from time to time and talks about something people wear up north called coats and some white stuff like power on the the ground. Not sure what that is but sounds interesting to train in. :)

Danny

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Henderson said:
Sorry if this has been discussed in other threads. I just didn't feel like browsing 12 pages of SD posts to search for it.

I am wondering who alters their Self-Defense training to change with the seasons. With winter upon us, we (and any would-be assailant) make many changes that may go un-accounted for in the dojo/gym/whatever you call it. I'm talking about bulkier clothing, heavier footwear (boots), gloves, hats, varied terrain (snow/ice), cold weather effects on respiratory capacity, greater concealment of weapons, etc.

Who takes these factors into account, and trains for the change of seasons? All info and responses are greatly appreciated.

Respects,

Frank

I do make a point to train in clothing other than a loose fitting gi, sweatpants, etc. I feel that this is definately an asset to ones training. If we always trained in 'dojo' wear, we may find ourselves in an awkward position when it comes time to throw a punch and we're wearing a heavy jacket.

Mike

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Even in Hawaii we have seasons.....shorts and t-shirts, or long pants and aloha shirts, women-bathing suits and mumu's. What you are wearing can effect your fighting techniques?

Sand beaches or pave roads and parking lots? Gotta train in all kinds of places. Ever see surfer 's fight in the ocean? It does happen! Someone cuts too many times in front of you or hit you with there boards.

AT nights it is dark and day time can be bright! Just joking....

Last week it did snow on top of Mauna kea mountain (very top only) and melted the very next day. My home faces Mauna Kea mountain. Home of some of most famous telescopes that view the solar systems.

If they are wearing a hat? What do you do? " Um" .........Aloha

aplonis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Winter here in Michigan has forced me to sign up with the YMCA. I can stop by on my way home from work and practice my forms. In the summertime I practice in the street in front of my home. Happily I live on a dead end street.

It also makes for a change of surfaces. At the dojang there is a springy wooden floor which is okay for bare feet. At the YMCA they have some kind of way-sticky rubber composite. In the street out front we have 100-year-old, 9-pound paving bricks.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cujo said:
Hey Frank, I agree. You must alter you training, especially if you live in an area where the weather changes significantly. I live in Northern Ohio and right now there is ice and snow everywhere! This causes you to take into consideration such issues as footing (snow and ice on the ground?), the amount of clothing someone is wearing (presure points in general are invalidated unless expossed), and also you must consider that if you are dressed for winter, your ability to move and react will be impaired by the clothing that you are wearing.

Pax
Cujo

Amen Cujo from another Ohio resident..

Latest Discussions