Scratches on saya around opening

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've noticed that when resheathing my iaito, the sharp tip tends to scratch the area of the saya around the opening, just before it drops in.

Does this indicate bad technique, or is it normal?

Thanks.

(I'm practising "combative kenjutsu", which has a heavier emphasis on sparring using Actionflex equipment. My sensei did not go very in depth into the subtleties of noto, since in class we are still using bokken. I borrowed a friend's iaito in an attempt to refine my technique. I understand the risks I am taking. I will, of course, be asking my instructor. The noto I use is the simplest one, used in Toyama Ryu. (vid)

Thank you all very much.)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the vid link Decker I'd not seen that one before.

As to your problems with the noto method, what it sounds like you are not doing is properly masking the mouth of the saya with your hand. The sword tip should fall onto the inner-bottom lip without ever touching with surrounding woodwork.

This is something that cannot really be described very well in words and as the tip of an iaito is just as sharp as that of a shinken it's also not something that I can recommend you practise without some proper instruction.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the vid link Decker I'd not seen that one before.

As to your problems with the noto method, what it sounds like you are not doing is properly masking the mouth of the saya with your hand. The sword tip should fall onto the inner-bottom lip without ever touching with surrounding woodwork.

This is something that cannot really be described very well in words and as the tip of an iaito is just as sharp as that of a shinken it's also not something that I can recommend you practise without some proper instruction.

Sukerkin hit's the nail on the head in that you need some instruction so that you are not learning bad habit's.
icon6.gif

OP
D

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I fully agree with getting further instruction. At least now I know just how badly I need it.

I admit I'm not at the level where I should be practising with iaito, just that one happened to be available, and patience isn't really one of my strong points...

And yeah, the iaito's tip is real sharp. Got scratched and poked a couple, but nothing bad enough to break skin.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll clarify with my instructor more before practising some more. "Practise crap, perfect crap", so they say.

Latest Discussions