Schools Training Groups

daniel17319

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been taking some fencing classes and have the basics somewhat down.

I want to start using something bigger and some different weapons.

Anyone know of any groups in the Amarillo Texas area Santa Fe New Mexico or Albuquerque NM

all places that are driving distances from me. Ill be taking some fencing classes in amarillo this summer when i finish here.

Is there any schools or books that talk about bowie knife fighting

thanks

OP
D

daniel17319

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks man ill look into it, i wonder if theres is anything else.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been taking some fencing classes and have the basics somewhat down.

I want to start using something bigger and some different weapons.

Anyone know of any groups in the Amarillo Texas area Santa Fe New Mexico or Albuquerque NM

all places that are driving distances from me. Ill be taking some fencing classes in amarillo this summer when i finish here.

Is there any schools or books that talk about bowie knife fighting

thanks
I'd look into filipino martial arts, you may not see much for bigger weapons, some groups do train tapado, and staff, but they are less common. In filipino systems you'll certainly get plenty of blade and knife training. Books are a good resource just don't make them your primary source of technique, you need proper instruction for that. Fencing is a good starting point, some day I'd like to try it myself.

OP
D

daniel17319

White Belt
Reaction score
no man I'm only interested in western martial arts. I enjoy fencing and now, i now understand that I'm proficient in traditional fencing techniques because i do some of that on the side too.

OP
D

daniel17319

White Belt
Reaction score
Is there a school i can go to for a few weeks that would help me with bowie and tomahawk.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Your best side is having your dominant eye to the rear.

Is there a school i can go to for a few weeks that would help me with bowie and tomahawk.

A few weeks, probably not, but there are seminars on the topic, that you could probably follow up by private lessons if you were so inclined. Keating does a Bowie seminar annually, this year:

NOVEMBER 7th and 8th
Bowie Knife / Arkansas Toothpick / Crossada
Big blade training - Fencing based methods of time honored, battle proven skills that you can rely on! This is the stuff that wins! It is a fighting science more so than a fighting art. Why are the five ways of attack so important for a knife or sword man to understand? Plus there will be a short show & tell session too where fine Bowies can be examined up close. Bring your special Bowie knife to share & show! It's all good! The combination of the Bowie and the Toothpick is always fun too. Grasping how they work in unison is the goal. Two large knives can be rather awkward to use without a wee bit O' guidance on the matter!
call_skype_logo.png
541-938-3451 / [email protected] / Cost: $250.00

I suspect Tomahawk is a little harder to find though lots of Kali schools have started to incorporate it into their curriculums, quite frankly the blend is pretty seamless.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Too bad you're so far away from Ohio. A local fencing school sweet-talked me into teaching bowie, tomahawk, &tc. classes on Sunday afternoons. :)

Dwight's books are top notch as is the man.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk