Saying you are Sorry

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was on another site, and the subject of saying you are sorry after hurting someone came up. Do you or don't you look for the words, "I'm sorry" when you get tagged, or do you say it to others when you hit them? Why?
Sean

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was on another site, and the subject of saying you are sorry after hurting someone came up. Do you or don't you look for the words, "I'm sorry" when you get tagged, or do you say it to others when you hit them? Why?
Sean

I don't look for it, but I tend to say it if I've unintentionally hit harder than I expected or got clumsy at my partner's expense. One tends to hear it more during hands-on practice of techniques than in sparring.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I was always taught that saying sorry when you do something wrong is good manners, so if I hit someone inadvertently with a jo or a bokken, of course I’m going to apoligise, to not say sorry would indicate I hurt them on purpose.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We try to take care of each other, therefore, apologies are neither offered nor expected. What we ARE expected to do is acknowledge when we take a good shot.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We try to take care of each other, therefore, apologies are neither offered nor expected. What we ARE expected to do is acknowledge when we take a good shot.
"Its a Hard Habbit to Breaaa - uh -haaeeaak."... That is the way we train as well.
Sean

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Our sparring is controlled light contact, so if I hit someone harder than I meant to, I say sorry (or something resembling sorry around a mouthpiece.)

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In sparring, for shots that land exactly as intended (at low power level, so that they don't cause actual injury), it is not the custom at our dojo to apologize. After all, if you meant to take the shot, why should you be sorry that it went off exactly as planned?

OTOH slip ups in SD technique training are frequently apologized for.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In sparring, for shots that land exactly as intended (at low power level, so that they don't cause actual injury), it is not the custom at our dojo to apologize. After all, if you meant to take the shot, why should you be sorry that it went off exactly as planned?

OTOH slip ups in SD technique training are frequently apologized for.
Most of the apologizing at our dojo is for brain farts or other blowing of the attack in SD techniques.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sure I will. As Ken Morgan said, accidentally hitting someone with a weapon (as in FMA) is decent reason to say "sorry." Generally, the other person understands that, in training a combat art, there's always a chance of getting cracked. In fact, I frequently say that it's not a training session until someone gets cracked on the fingers (to head off the inevitable and effusive apologies).

It happens. But there's no reason not to quickly acknowledge it. The one disclaimer I would add, though, is not to disrupt the rhythm and momentum of a sparring session to apologize. A quick touch of gloves, at most, does the trick amongst most people. A more thorough apology after the match, if you still feel it's necessary.

Stuart

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I hit someone during sparring harder than I intended (with an excessive amount of force) I will apologize. After all, it's a case of me not being in control as much as I should be. It's just common courtesy to apologize under such circumstances, and courtesy is one of the Tenets of Taekwon-Do.

On the other hand, I do not expect to get an apology from someone if I get hit hard. I don't hold it against them, I just don't expect it. If all goes well they don't know if they tagged me hard anyway. I try to have a certain amount of reserve when training, even if hit. Sometimes it's harder to do that than other times ;)

Pax,

Chris

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I say sorry if I hit harder than intended, or if something goes awry in SD practice--like the other day when I threw my partner and then accidentally stepped on her hair when I went in to do a finishing move.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We are training for heavy contact, so it is expected that the shots are going to be hard. We don't expect to cause injury. For example this past Tuesday night one of the students was holding a shield and nearly broke her wrist due to the power of her partner's kicks. In other words, "Yes, I intended to hit you hard but I am sorry if you are not able to train".

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sean
Unintentional and out of place contact should be apologized for -- when the sequence is completed, not in the middle. But tagging someone hard in free sparring? Maybe after the fight...

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I apoligized quite a bit while doing BJJ in the late 90's. It was very easy to go a little to far while on the mat. Some just aren't as strong as others and inturn won't perform as well. It is appropriate to acknowledge that you didn't mean tohurt them.

Interesting though most didn't do as I did. I would go as far to say that at times they would go out of their way to "better" someone from another style, especially someone with a lot of experience.

Latest Discussions